• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I?

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
Hi! I know if you’ve read my threads I’ve been bouncing around a lot with which bird I am settling on. I’m new to this! I’ve recently gotten into quakers and have fallen off in love. But no! I have research and experience on my side. So, I live in a family of 5 and was wondering would a Quaker parrot be right for me? They fit me so right until i heard they bond to one person. I really want my mom and sister to enjoy owning a bird. I also definitely don’t want to be the one that the bird is not attached to. I’ll be at school and don’t want it to be depressed! I do not want to buy a bird and have to rehome it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My experiences with Quakers hasn't been good at all :lol:

They definitely can bond to one person but they also can decide to change who they like without warning.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
My experiences with Quakers hasn't been good at all :lol:

They definitely can bond to one person but they also can decide to change who they like without warning.
Okay. I guess I should except the truth. I just think quakers first fit me so much besides there introverted personality

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay. I guess I should except the truth. I just think quakers first fit me so much besides there introverted personality
All birds are different, but ALL species can choose one person. It is in their nature to form a pair bond, particularly if they have been hand raised and don't realize that birds and people are not compatible.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
All birds are different, but ALL species can choose one person. It is in their nature to form a pair bond, particularly if they have been hand raised and don't realize that birds and people are not compatible.
Yeah, I should keep that in mind.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Also, I don't know where you live, but quakers are illegal in some states- like mine. Which is ridiculous, but something else to check on. If this was already suggested, sorry for repeating it, but have you considered a cockatiel? I think the chances of a cockatiel liking everyone is more likely than with some of the other species.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Also, I don't know where you live, but quakers are illegal in some states- like mine. Which is ridiculous, but something else to check on. If this was already suggested, sorry for repeating it, but have you considered a cockatiel? I think the chances of a cockatiel liking everyone is more likely than with some of the other species.
Something to do with overhead power cables I believe?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Something to do with overhead power cables I believe?
In my state, it's because they're considered invasive and can damage crops, etc. I guess they're afraid everyone is going to turn their pet quakers loose. :rolleyes:

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
[/QUOTE
It is not illegal in my state I already checked. I looked into a cockatiel but I don’t think there right for me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you truly think quakers are for you, and the only thing holding you back is the one person thing, then you have two options:

1. Accept that this is not unique to quakers and go forth

2. Look into a species that is less prone to it like cockatiels and budgies

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Just curious- why? What don't you think is right about a tiel? (I'm obviously a little 'tiel biased. LOL.) If not a tiel, maybe a canary winged parakeet?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
In my state, it's because they're considered invasive and can damage crops, etc. I guess they're afraid everyone is going to turn their pet quakers loose. :rolleyes:
Here in Connecticut it’s because they were bringing down wires with their huge nests :eek:

Not sure why they think we‘re going to release our birds, but there are some dumb people out there.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
Just curious- why? What don't you think is right about a tiel? (I'm obviously a little 'tiel biased. LOL.) If not a tiel, maybe a canary winged parakeet?
I love tiels! Don’t get me wrong. It’s just there powder would not be good for me as I have asthma. If anybody wants to help me out on this it would be amazing.
I want a cuddly bird
I want my bird to be affectionate to everyone in the family (mostly me though :)
I don’t want a bird that gets sick all the time (although I’m fine with vet visits)
I want a bird that’s relatively fine with dogs

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You can't have a bird out in the same room as a dog.

I want a cuddly bird
That is too much to ask from a bird of any species.

I don’t want a bird that gets sick all the time
That would depend on if you are any good at caring for it, not the species.

If anybody wants to help me out on this it would be amazing.
A decent air filter.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love tiels! Don’t get me wrong. It’s just there powder would not be good for me as I have asthma. If anybody wants to help me out on this it would be amazing.
I want a cuddly bird
I want my bird to be affectionate to everyone in the family (mostly me though :)
I don’t want a bird that gets sick all the time (although I’m fine with vet visits)
Cuddly - the more you cuddle a bird, the higher chance of it becoming pair bonded with one person. Cuddling is a way to tell your bird you are sexually interested.

As long as you are getting a bird from a reputable source and are feeding a healthful diet and taking precautions in your home to keep them safe, they aren't generally sickly.

Dogs should never have access to your bird. They are a predator, and birds are prey. Most birds are fine with a dog as long as the two can't interact. Even their saliva can kill them.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
You can't have a bird out in the same room as a dog.

That is too much to ask from a bird of any species.

That would depend on if you are any good at caring for it, not the species.

A decent air filter.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
As in cuddly I want to be able to pet them not snuggle.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had one Quaker I could pet and one that I couldn't even after 3 years. :shrug:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Petting a bird anywhere apart from the head is intensely sexual for them. Birds who are friends will preen each other's heads. Birds who are mates will preen all over the body. Stroking under a bird's wings, their chest, and especially down their back or around the vent is basically the psittacine equivalent of making out or even having sex.

Having a bird who thinks you are its mate is unfair on your family. Your bird will see them as rivals for your affections, and will be more likely to be aggressive towards them in an attempt to drive them away. It is also incredibly unfair on the bird. Mated pairs are around each other 24/7. They preen each other, they forage together, they sleep next to each other, they fly almost touching wingtips. You simply cannot offer that level of companionship and understanding to a bird, because you are not a bird.

As such, you must limit yourself to headscratches only with a parrot. Even then, not all parrots enjoy being touched. There are a number on AA who have lived with their human flock for years without wanting to be pet. If you want a pet who you can reliably stroke, give headscratches to or cuddle, don't get a parrot.