• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I wash my hands before moving on to the next species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have :D

One african grey - Very dusty feathers

One Pionus parrot - Not dusty but very dandery

When I give my grey scritches.. I am left with powder on my hands. Should I be washing my hands before giving my pionus parrot scritches with the same hand and vice versa?:huh:

Just wondering.:D

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I never did when I had my cockatiel Bosco. She was dusty . I would handle her and then go to Bodie , but now that I think about if I was you maybe just a quick wipe with maybe a paper towel.

Hope that helps.

P. S. You are talking to the Queen of washing hands All The Time before I do anything with Bodie:hehe:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I only wash my hands before I start playing with and handling my birds....unless I got pooped on, then it's back to the hand washing, lol

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm, I wouldn't think it would be necessary. I only wash my hands when I go to handle the birds after handling the cats. But, none of my birds are powdery....

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys! I'm quite the hand washer too. I wash my hands as soon as I enter my home and before handling my parrots. I was just wondering whether it was necessary because I notice Emma often leaves a silky layer of dust on my fingers. I guess I won't worry too much about it.:p

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Yea, I don't think it would matter. Maybe if you had a grey and a macaw, but I don't think it would bother Sachi.

Status
Not open for further replies.