• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I visit an U2 that’s due to be rehomed?

panurg

Meeting neighbors
To administrators: I was trying to type rehomed, but stupid autocorrect changed it to regimes, and I don’t seem to be able to edit the head of this thread anymore.

Hello everyone

I’m helping my friend to rehome an Umbrella cockatoo. He is not in a good situation, stuck alone in the cage in the basement, only seeing his owner for an hour or so a day. She loves him, but understands that he needs a better life, also her family rejects him completely, so she can’t even bring him to the house from the basement.When I heard about this situation, I decided to help her, but I know I can’t take him in either for a number of reasons, so rehoming is an only option. I told her that we will be doing a very strict screening and she will have to charge a rehoming fee.

my question for now, however, is this:
I want to make his life better and started visiting him (although I have next to no experience with big birds and am scared of him when he turns on his tantrums), but it seems that he likes me almost too much, so the owner thinks that it’s not helping him that I visit, she doesn’t want him to get used to me too much, also he seems to scream more after I visit, so she thinks that he wants me back. I only visited him twice so far, but it seems that he already chose me as his mate.

anyway, what do you think, should I continue visiting him, or is she right in her thinking?

thank you in advance for your thoughts.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
1) Why did she get the U2 in the first place?
2) Why can’t you take the U2 im?
3) Visiting or not is up to you but you definitely can suggest a better diet (if said U2 is say on seed diets etc go ahead and add some pellets, veggies and fruit [recipes are plenty at Feathered Food Court]) and get some toys (if said U2 doesn’t have enough toys)
I’ll assume U2 isn’t plucking and has a big enough cage though. Also if you want to rehome (again if you haven’t posted a thread yet I didn’t check) go ahead and post at thread at Rehome Highway)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe this form will help you in the screening process to find this bird a new home;

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
To administrators: I was trying to type rehomed, but stupid autocorrect changed it to regimes, and I don’t seem to be able to edit the head of this thread anymore.

Hello everyone

I’m helping my friend to rehome an Umbrella cockatoo. He is not in a good situation, stuck alone in the cage in the basement, only seeing his owner for an hour or so a day. She loves him, but understands that he needs a better life, also her family rejects him completely, so she can’t even bring him to the house from the basement.When I heard about this situation, I decided to help her, but I know I can’t take him in either for a number of reasons, so rehoming is an only option. I told her that we will be doing a very strict screening and she will have to charge a rehoming fee.

my question for now, however, is this:
I want to make his life better and started visiting him (although I have next to no experience with big birds and am scared of him when he turns on his tantrums), but it seems that he likes me almost too much, so the owner thinks that it’s not helping him that I visit, she doesn’t want him to get used to me too much, also he seems to scream more after I visit, so she thinks that he wants me back. I only visited him twice so far, but it seems that he already chose me as his mate.

anyway, what do you think, should I continue visiting him, or is she right in her thinking?

thank you in advance for your thoughts.
This bird is emotionally starved and would glom onto anyone at this point. If you are serious about helping find him a home or take charge of him yourself. It’sa big commitment but if you stay here in the community you will get lots of guidance.

panurg

Meeting neighbors
1) Why did she get the U2 in the first place?
2) Why can’t you take the U2 im?
3) Visiting or not is up to you but you definitely can suggest a better diet (if said U2 is say on seed diets etc go ahead and add some pellets, veggies and fruit [recipes are plenty at Feathered Food Court]) and get some toys (if said U2 doesn’t have enough toys)
I’ll assume U2 isn’t plucking and has a big enough cage though. Also if you want to rehome (again if you haven’t posted a thread yet I didn’t check) go ahead and post at thread at Rehome Highway)
She has had him for 10 years, her daughter made an impulse buy, and she took over. Unfortunately, her husband at this point really wants him out, and doesn’t allow her to have him in the house, only in that nook in the basement, so she can’t improve his life, although she loves him dearly.

I wish I could take him in, but first, I have next to zero experience with big birds, and am afraid of him, second, my house is way to small to have a big loud bird, third, I have two GCC who are out of cage whenever I am home, and I’d be too afraid to have this cockatoo out too while they are, which means he won’t have much time out with me either. Not to mention my BF, who most likely will be afraid of him, as this too seems to prefer women.

he has a good diet, no seeds, pellets and veggies/fruit for him. He is plucking, but cage is big enough. I’m about to post a rehoming ad there,yep.

panurg

Meeting neighbors
This bird is emotionally starved and would glom onto anyone at this point. If you are serious about helping find him a home or take charge of him yourself. It’sa big commitment but if you stay here in the community you will get lots of guidance.
thank you. I can’t take him, as I explained I the answer above, and I am working on finding him a home right now, yep.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
She has had him for 10 years, her daughter made an impulse buy, and she took over. Unfortunately, her husband at this point really wants him out, and doesn’t allow her to have him in the house, only in that nook in the basement, so she can’t improve his life, although she loves him dearly.

I wish I could take him in, but first, I have next to zero experience with big birds, and am afraid of him, second, my house is way to small to have a big loud bird, third, I have two GCC who are out of cage whenever I am home, and I’d be too afraid to have this cockatoo out too while they are, which means he won’t have much time out with me either. Not to mention my BF, who most likely will be afraid of him, as this too seems to prefer women.

he has a good diet, no seeds, pellets and veggies/fruit for him. He is plucking, but cage is big enough. I’m about to post a rehoming ad there,yep.
I see, by the way did you know that U2s (and african greys basically old world birds) don’t mix with new world birds (conures like your GCCs and macaws and amazons etc) because of their powder down which affects the new world bird’s respiratory system.
You could check out this link if you want to know more btw.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I don't mean to butt in, I just wanted to say I would visit him if I were you @panurg . Yes, he probably is getting attached to you, but that's alright. He appreciates the attention and enrichment. He will love someone else in his next home. He could use a friend right now, in my opinion (not an expert).