• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures should i use this supplement + is it safe for my gcc?

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
so my friend’s had a baby and she can’t find time for her budgies anymore so i’m taking them off her hands. theyre being fed an seed only diet right now, so i went to the store to get some seed and get some toys that i can put in their cage once theyve settled in.
however i found this “budgie starter”, that says it’s a protein supplement for budgies and can be put in chop.

am i able to put this in my green cheek conure’s chop or do i have to make seperate chop mixes?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That'll give the budgies a good boost. I'm not familiar with the brand but the ingredients and analysis look good.
For your conure it'll be okay to use, but you should aim for a seperate targeted diet in the future, more similar to what conures eat in the wild.
Same goes for the budgies. Essentially you need to work toward a 'complete' diet without having to add supplements.
There's plenty of reading on this very forum, including this:

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The ingredients in that supplement are very nearly the same as in one of the high quality pellets, such as Harrison's or Roudybush. It's probably a lot more expensive though - being called a supplement. When you convert the birds to a good pellet (no sugar and no dyes) along with their seeds and vegetables, there will no longer be any need for this supplement.

WillowNMurphy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
The ingredients in that supplement are very nearly the same as in one of the high quality pellets, such as Harrison's or Roudybush. It's probably a lot more expensive though - being called a supplement. When you convert the birds to a good pellet (no sugar and no dyes) along with their seeds and vegetables, there will no longer be any need for this supplement.

it actually isnt very expensive, i will aim to switch the budgies over to a pellet/veggie/seed diet, but ill be waiting until theyre comfortable in their new surroundings. just thought itd be a good addition until ive switched them over :)

WillowNMurphy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
That'll give the budgies a good boost. I'm not familiar with the brand but the ingredients and analysis look good.
For your conure it'll be okay to use, but you should aim for a seperate targeted diet in the future, more similar to what conures eat in the wild.
Same goes for the budgies. Essentially you need to work toward a 'complete' diet without having to add supplements.
There's plenty of reading on this very forum, including this:
i read that thread when i got murphy my gcc, very informative. seperate chop isn’t necessary though, right? the budgies will be eating a seperate seed mix and eventually will be eating pellets. the only seed murphy gets is in his chop or when i give him treats. he does have a complete diet but i was just wondering if it would be okay to put in with his chop or if i would have to add it just to the budgies‘. will they need more seed then a conure does, because that’s what they eat in the wild? or will seed with chop be enough?

sorry for all the questions, i just want to take good care of them while they adjust.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It would be safe for you to make a chop with the supplement for all your birds, but does Murphy need it? Giving supplements sounds and looks simple, but too much of a good thing can be bad. Like I said you want to aim for a diet specific to each species, but that doesn't have to be tomorrow. ;)

WillowNMurphy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
It would be safe for you to make a chop with the supplement for all your birds, but does Murphy need it? Giving supplements sounds and looks simple, but too much of a good thing can be bad. Like I said you want to aim for a diet specific to each species, but that doesn't have to be tomorrow. ;)
understood! thank you, im sorry if i came off a little defensive. ive made a batch of chop with the supplement for the budgies and just gave murphy a little but i will be making him a batch tomorrow with different veggies :)