• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Should i throw my pan out?

parrotman

Strolling the yard
I'm unsure if this pan has PFTE/PFOA Non-stick coatings, Should I throw the pan out and buy another pan? IMG_20200630_172747.jpg

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If it is a non-stick pan, then it most probably does. I would get either stainless steel or ceramic.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
My family still use teflon but my bird is two rooms away and has three doors and three walls stopping any fumes getting to him along with a fan while we cook. Also I make sure all the days stay shut tight and that no one is burning anything. But I cant just be tossing all the pans out and replacing them as I dont own the house. Otherwise i wouldn't risk it although nowadays nonstick is fine to use for regular cooking not around birds though. But again my bird has three doors to stop fumes from getting to him with a fan.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm unsure if this pan has PFTE/PFOA Non-stick coatings, Should I throw the pan out and buy another pan? View attachment 344178
Looks like Tephlon to me. I agree unsure... Toss it ASAP.

I have a small Ceramic I use for eggs & aluminum/copper for Medium size & a steel for 12" (I believe the size) for large. All bases covered except a matching frying pan set.

Buddy's alive & unharmed, priceless!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
When in doubt, bin it.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I’d toss it. Especially if others are in the house and not as careful.

parrotman

Strolling the yard
I Will make sure to throw the pan out and replace it with a stainless steel pan

Reactions: Ali

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My family still use teflon but my bird is two rooms away and has three doors and three walls stopping any fumes getting to him along with a fan while we cook. Also I make sure all the days stay shut tight and that no one is burning anything. But I cant just be tossing all the pans out and replacing them as I dont own the house. Otherwise i wouldn't risk it although nowadays nonstick is fine to use for regular cooking not around birds though. But again my bird has three doors to stop fumes from getting to him with a fan.
My friend had her African Grey and canaries in a enclosed porch addition, it was connected to the home, and had an open access-way into the living room. . Not near her kitchen.
Thanksgiving (years ago) they were roasting the turkey in a coated roaster. Later in the day, they closed the windows as it got chilly.
Not long after, all birds dropped dead off their perches.
She heard the small canaries fall first, then the louder noise of her Grey falling.
She was devastated.
She also knew about the coating, but figured her birds were far enough away.

Mantis64

My friend had her African Grey and canaries in a enclosed porch addition, it was connected to the home, and had an open access-way into the living room. . Not near her kitchen.
Thanksgiving (years ago) they were roasting the turkey in a coated roaster. Later in the day, they closed the windows as it got chilly.
Not long after, all birds dropped dead off their perches.
She heard the small canaries fall first, then the louder noise of her Grey falling.
She was devastated.
She also knew about the coating, but figured her birds were far enough away.
Oh that's not good

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I only know of this one person who lost her birds to Teflon.
This one was enough for me to forever toss all non stick in my home.
Be safe. Not sorry.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
When I was a teenager, my family kept zebra finches and button quail in a flight cage in the dining room. The kitchen was the next room over with an open floor plan. One day, I left a pot of water on the stove to boil and forgot about it. The water boiled off, the pan over-heated, and the button quail were found dead later that same day. Thankfully, the finches all survived. Perhaps the quail were more sensitive or inhaled more of the fumes. I don't know.

It was a really horrible way to learn about the dangers of non-stick pans. :( It is a serious health risk for birds and kills very fast. Be safe and don't risk it.

It is also worth mentioning that the same toxic fumes that can kill birds are known to be harmful to people also. We won't die from low levels, but it is not good for people to breath these fumes regularly or in large amounts, as they are linked with multiple health problems. Even if you do not have birds, you should use caution with old Teflon coated cookware and be sure to avoid overheating the pans and always have proper ventilation. Modern Teflon is PFOA-free, so it should be safe.

And, of course, never walk away from a boiling pot of water and forget about it, like I did. Even if the pan isn't Teflon coated, it could cause a house fire!

Mantis64

Most of the pans my family own are stainless steel they only occasionally use the teflon.

SpaceLatte

Moving in
Real Name
Arielle

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I would also toss it if unsure, but I have to say my ceramic nonstick looks just like that