• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Should I take him in again?

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
They want to do a check up before the blood test.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Just my two cents...

When taking a bird to the vet there are many considerations. If you can afford to do all the tests then you should do them if not then you need to make some decisions. The first thing you need to decide is what vet to take them to. You need to find one your can trust and I personally would pick the vet who has the most skill and resources, that would be your board certified avian vet. If they are not board certified you might try and find out how much time they spend treating birds compared to other animals. 10%, 20%, 50% more. There is no right number but if you are comparing vets go with the one with more experience. If cost is a concern you still want to go to the better vet, their experience will more than pay for the higher cost and they may be able to help you sooner and better and will not only be better for the bird but will be better all around.

Now that you have a vet you trust, the next thing you need to do is REALLY TRUST THEM. Do exactly what they say, it is good to ask questions and decide together on a plan but then you need to follow through. You can not change course in the middle or skip things. Diagnosing an illness often takes time and has many twists and turns. You have to commit to searching out the solutions and follow through, if you give up in the middle you will have wasted all the previous money and work. If you skip a recommended test then you are making it difficult or impossible for the vet to do his job. Once you say no to a requested test you can not blame the vet for not knowing what is wrong. If you don't do what they suggest then it really limits what they can do to help your bird.

I always listen to the vet and ask them to explain each test, what they will find out by doing it and how they will treat that particular problem if they find it. This helps me in discussing the best way to proceed.

In the case that there are two birds with the same symptoms I would take them both in to the vet and discuss the situation with them. This way they can decide if they want to address one at a time or both together. I have had two birds with the same symptoms before where the vet did a more extensive example on one than the other and recommended treatment for both.

In my case it was an environmental issue that needed to be address while also offering supportive care so that there was no need for extensive lab tests. Your case is probably different. I had to make multiple visits over several weeks, and consult with the vet and vet techs daily to get the situation sorted out. Sometimes, the vets need to see what happens with a treatment to move forwards so again it is important to follow through and communicate with your vet.

Personally, I use different vets in the area depending on the situation. The one closest to my home is good if I already have a pretty good idea what is wrong (because it is very simple), they are close and can handle simple things. Another is much farther away but well equipped and very competent. Another is even farther away and is board certified. She has limited hours and is not always available but is worth the drive and wait if you really need a good vet or surgeon. I would still go there first if she was available.

These are just a few things that I have learned over the years. I hope it helps.

Best wishes to you and your birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Avian and Exotics Clinic of Arizona is where I have taken both of my birds (GW macaws) for 21 years. Dr. Todd Driggers is the owner. I have never received anything but the very best of care for my birds there. Dr. Driggers has saved their lives several times.

Your birds are Linnies and vets are reluctant to take blood on a Linnie unless there is no other solution. They are very tiny birds and just a little blood is a lot and they can go into shock easily.

Did you tell the vet that your birds have lived with a cockatoo? Your bird may have developed Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome from the powder down of the cockatoo.

What is the name of the medication that you were given? Are you sure that you understood what the vet told you. Did you tell the vet that you were price sensitive and wanted to save as much money as possible?

Having known that clinic for as long as I have, a lot of this does not make sense.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Avian and Exotics Clinic of Arizona is where I have taken both of my birds (GW macaws) for 21 years. Dr. Todd Driggers is the owner. I have never received anything but the very best of care for my birds there. Dr. Driggers has saved their lives several times.

Your birds are Linnies and vets are reluctant to take blood on a Linnie unless there is no other solution. They are very tiny birds and just a little blood is a lot and they can go into shock easily.

Did you tell the vet that your birds have lived with a cockatoo? Your bird may have developed Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome from the powder down of the cockatoo.

What is the name of the medication that you were given? Are you sure that you understood what the vet told you. Did you tell the vet that you were price sensitive and wanted to save as much money as possible?

Having known that clinic for as long as I have, a lot of this does not make sense.
I second what was said about blood draws on small birds. I had parrotlets and to do a full blood panel on a sick bird they were only willing to take half the blood and then the other half a week later and only if absolutely necessary. It is different if they are strong on healthy but if they are sick it is a real risk.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
I was given Eroflaxcin. They asked me about if he lived with another bird and I told them. The avian vet that I always get at the clinic is Dr. Alyssa Scagnelli.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
She knows I'm price sensitive and she wanted me to try it before a blood test. She told me to call back if there was no improvement.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
So getting back to your original question, you should continue to consult with your trusted vet and follow their instructions. You can call your vet with questions and she should call you back and let you know what to do. Keep doing what you are doing :)

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
Okay thanks! I can't bring my other bird at that same time bc I scheduled it 30 mins before they close and they only have time for one bird. I will bring her maybe a few days later.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dr. Scagnelli is my second choice at the AEAC only because Dr. Mclaughlin is a little intimidated by large (GW sized parrots). 99% of the time Dr. Driggers sees Jasper - they are in love after 21 years.

Enrofloxicin is a broad based antibiotic and is very widely used with birds. Not something that I am fond of, because the continued rampant use will eventually cause many microbes to be resistant to it. But without serum tests the vet doesn't have much choice.

Because of the danger to tiny birds to blood draws and your cost sensitivity, the next time you go in you should ask for a cloaca and cloanal swab. If there are no microbes visible under the microscope then you can go to the blood draw. If there are excess microbes in the swabs then you need a culture and sensitivity.

Do what your vet tells you to do.

That's my advice.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
How much does those tests cost? All they told me was how much a blood test, checkup, and fecal exam cost.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The swab and stains are very cheap - $25+ dollars. A culture and sensitivity is approx $!56. If it is an infection the culture and sensitivity will not only tell you specifically tell you whick bacteria it is, but a range of antibiotics that it is sensitive to and resistant to. That way the absolutely correct antibiotic will be prescribed.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
The clinic isn't closed but we can't even see the bird get check up and the other stuff due to the virus. I don't want her to do random stuff without telling me. Do I go to the other clinic?