• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Should I take him in again?

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
My bird is sick and the vet wanted to try a medicine. The treatment will last for two weeks but my bird still looks the same. Should I take him in again? The last time I did this medicine he started looking a bit better after two days. Also my other bird is sick and we can't take her to the vet! What do you think we should do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Why can you take one bird in to the vet but not the other?

How long has your bird been on the medication? In what way are they sick?

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
The vet doesn't know what sickness he has because we haven't done a blood test yet. He still is sleeping and sneezing. I can bring the other to the vet but the vet thinks they have the same sickness so there is no point of bringing two if they have the same sickness. Still that's all the vet thinks tho.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So you're blind treating two birds basically?

It's pretty impossible for us to give you real guidance as we don't know what your bird has, and it seems recurrent as this is not the first time they've been treated with this medication.

What kind of birds are they and what are they being treated with and what does the vet think they have?

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
He has a virus, cancer, or kidney problems. Most likely a virus because he used to live with a macaw and cockatoo.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@R.J. Cancer, virus and kidney problems are all very different illnesses and I am shocked a vet would leave you with that information and no more........ what kind of vet are you taking the birds to? I think you need to take both birds to the vet and have actual tests done- it seems really irresponsible and silly to be treating for anything when you and your vet seem to have no idea what the actual health problem is.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
I go to Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic of Arizona. I'm going to take one of my birds first, and if he gets better, I will take he other.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
Also we got a call from the clinic. They asked how he was doing and I explained the situation. We are going to have another vet visit next Wednesday.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
There is another clinic near us. If this vet doesn't work out for my birds I will take them to that one which has a board certified avian vet there.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I go to Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic of Arizona. I'm going to take one of my birds first, and if he gets better, I will take he other.
I’m not sure that is the best or smartest option- they will just continue to pass it back and forth. Kinda like treating one kid in the house for head lice then when that one is better treat the other, meanwhile the first one has been infested with the problem again. That is how parasites and most illnesses work. I really think you’d be smarter to take both and sort them out at the same time to limit chances of reinfecting.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cancer and kidney problems are also not communicable, so how can your vet assume it is one of those things and that both birds have it?

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
@R.J. Cancer, virus and kidney problems are all very different illnesses and I am shocked a vet would leave you with that information and no more........ what kind of vet are you taking the birds to? I think you need to take both birds to the vet and have actual tests done- it seems really irresponsible and silly to be treating for anything when you and your vet seem to have no idea what the actual health problem is.
We haven't looked into his blood yet.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
She was basing it on his poop and symptoms. The medicine was like a cure for two things so it was a two in one.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
We've never taken the other to the vet. We couldn't find any other reason why they were both sick except the same sickness was spread between both of them. I will call again and take both Wednesday. Also one of them is not tame and was an aviary bird. I'm not sure how they will catch her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you put your bird in a carrier they will know what to do; they do this all the time.

Telling you to bring one bird makes sense, I’ve been told that before. They certainly do pass things back and forth. I think they try to save you the cost of bringing in 2.

HOWEVER. If it was my bird And still sleeping and sneezing, I wouldn’t wait that long. I d probably opt for the certified avian vet. Just my 2 cents.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
I think I am going to request for blood work at the other clinic for both of my birds.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
Also is it necessary to do a re-checkup? To the clinic I've never been to I was just planning to do a blood test only for both. How long does it take for you to get the results on the blood?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Also is it necessary to do a re-checkup? To the clinic I've never been to I was just planning to do a blood test only for both. How long does it take for you to get the results on the blood?
We have slow service here, it takes quite a few days for bloodwork. I guess if they have their own lab or are in a bigger city you could get it faster.

As far as the re-check, maybe find out what they will do. If it is just a visual exam, well, you know your bird better than anyone. My dog (for example) goes back every 2 weeks and they do bloodwork every 2 weeks so I feel that it's worth it. Even though it's costing over $400 per visit.

I don't always take birds back for re-checks. I know I should be saying "always follow your vet's advice" but honestly, it's hard on them to go to the vet. Mine are smaller birds - they don't handle stress well.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
Yeah, they want to check up again, but I think we should just skip to the blood test because I don't think it is necessary to pay an extra $50 if you already know they are sick.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
I sent an email to the clinic. I'm waiting for them to respond.