• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Should I stop his antibiotics I think the medicine is not doing anything to him

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
One gram loss is nothing - absolutely nothing. How long has he been on the current medication? And what is it's name.
Yeah that’s what they told me , he has been for 5 days today . I got a hold on his avian vet and he has his appointment on Tuesday.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
SMZ-TMP is the name of the antibiotic and is used quite often for upper respiratory infections. My girl is on it right now and it does make her regurgitate once in awhile - it's well known for that. Five days is enough time for the antibiotic to show effects.

You are wise to go to his avian vet. Now listen to everything she says and ask questions if you don't understand. She may want to perform a CBC (complete blood count) and Chemistry panel. Possibly even a culture and sensitivity. These will be expensive, but will give all of the information she may need to correctly diagnose him.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
SMZ-TMP is the name of the antibiotic and is used quite often for upper respiratory infections. My girl is on it right now and it does make her regurgitate once in awhile - it's well known for that. Five days is enough time for the antibiotic to show effects.

You are wise to go to his avian vet. Now listen to everything she says and ask questions if you don't understand. She may want to perform a CBC (complete blood count) and Chemistry panel. Possibly even a culture and sensitivity. These will be expensive, but will give all of the information she may need to correctly diagnose him.
His avian vet is actually a man , but yeah cause is been 5 days and I still see my bird scratching his nares but he hasn’t discharge any liquid , so I guess I have to keep giving that medicine until I go to his avian vet . Is going to be tough for me cause I am not working right now so I hope is too much money . So even tho they did those test like two months ago ? They were pretty expensive. So I don’t know if they even making en effect or not. Cause one day is good other day he is not . Oh ok yeah I think he has done that regurgitate once. I hope your girl gets better soon too.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If those tests have been done recently then get him the copies of the tests (they are yours, you paid for them). Yes, they are expensive and if you don't have the money, you don't have the money - but sometimes they are cheaper than repeated trips to the vet. Keep giving the antibiotic - if he has an infection in his sinuses it could take the full dosage and maybe even more. Circulation and penetration for antibiotics is not all that good in the sinuses.

Care credit may be something for you to consider getting; What is CareCredit? | CareCredit

Thank you for the good thoughts for Jasper. She has been ill for 21 years now.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
If those tests have been done recently then get him the copies of the tests (they are yours, you paid for them). Yes, they are expensive and if you don't have the money, you don't have the money - but sometimes they are cheaper than repeated trips to the vet. Keep giving the antibiotic - if he has an infection in his sinuses it could take the full dosage and maybe even more. Circulation and penetration for antibiotics is not all that good in the sinuses.

Care credit may be something for you to consider getting; What is CareCredit? | CareCredit

Thank you for the good thoughts for Jasper. She has been ill for 21 years now.
Yeah I am going to the same vet so he should have the records there . Yeah I know I have that card I once used for my dentist . Aww you are welcome poor baby what she have ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A.t 6 1/2 years old, when she was given to me, she had severe cardiomiopathy (congestive heart failure). CHS effects the flow of blood cutting it down a lot, so that makes people or birds susceptible to many other illnesses and diseases - she seems to have them all and her immune system is no good so she catches every bug that comes along. My wonderful vet says she should have died 10 years ago, but she is still going right along. This is just an infection and nothing to worry much about.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
A.t 6 1/2 years old, when she was given to me, she had severe cardiomiopathy (congestive heart failure). CHS effects the flow of blood cutting it down a lot, so that makes people or birds susceptible to many other illnesses and diseases - she seems to have them all and her immune system is no good so she catches every bug that comes along. My wonderful vet says she should have died 10 years ago, but she is still going right along. This is just an infection and nothing to worry much about.
Wow and I am sure you are the best mom for her . I am so happy she is alive. My baby bird was rescued so I don’t know how he was raised or how they treated him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He isn't tail bobbing enough to be concerned about, but mention it to the vet.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
He isn't tail bobbing enough to be concerned about, but mention it to the vet.
Oh ok I will I will show him this clip . They don’t supposed to do it even if they are sleeping right ? So I could understand this better.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Many times a bird will appear to be bobbing his tail a little, but there is nothing wrong with them-especially when they are sleeping.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What is the humidity in the bird room? A hygrometer will measure humidity. I say this because your bird species is from a rainforest where it is humid and you bird will be more comfortable with humidity from 30% to 50%. Not above 60 as mold can grow in a home if above 60%. Just something to check into with a bird that has upper respiratory infections.

Does anyone in your home smoke? If so have them stay away from your bird and smoke outside.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
What is the humidity in the bird room? A hygrometer will measure humidity. I say this because your bird species is from a rainforest where it is humid and you bird will be more comfortable with humidity from 30% to 50%. Not above 60 as mold can grow in a home if above 60%. Just something to check into with a bird that has upper respiratory infections.

Does anyone in your home smoke? If so have them stay away from your bird and smoke outside.
Humidity is 50% and no no one smoke in my house :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That tail movement looks perfectly normal to me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That sounds good - hope he heals quickly.