• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Should I stop his antibiotics I think the medicine is not doing anything to him

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
Somedays I think the medicines is doing effect on my bird other I don’t see any improvement I don’t know what else to do :(

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Please help I am desperate I can’t see any vets until Monday if I get an emergency appointment I been trying to contact his avian vet but no luck so he is been seen with some other vet. I thought he was doing better with the medicine but honestly he is not . Today at night I freaked out cause I heard him he was making a hard sound to breath like a wheezing sound. I don’t want my bird to die but I feel like he is suffering too much . I hope I can get to make an appointment with his avian vet.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the vet told you to use the antibiotics then you need to administer them exactly as instructed. They do not make anyone better straight away and take time to build up in the system and gain some control over the infection or virus that is making your bird sick.

I do not think you should stop doing what a qualified vet told you to do. Why do you feel he is suffering too much? Why is it that you always think he is sick? Has he had a history of being constantly unwell or have you had a history of bad advice from a qualified vet? I am not fully understanding what the issue is here @Lucas2019

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A video of what ever you are seeing that is worrying you will be helpful for everyone to understand the problem you feel your bird is having :)

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Why is it that you always think he is sick?
Is not that I always think he is sick I know he is sick and he has been seen by the vet . First he had a cough on March and it was cured then I took him to the avian vet to get all test done and he was better . Then now he has been sneezing with a discharge and he was having trouble breathing then the vet told me to give him medicine that I am currently giving him .

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes I remember he was just recently sneezing a lot with some clear discharge. But why do you think he is suffering more now that he is having the medication than he was when he was sneezing? Could what you are seeing be the antibiotics finally kicking in and making him better, clearing whatever is still in his sinuses out? What did the vet say was the problem and reason for sneezing?

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
If the vet told you to use the antibiotics then you need to administer them exactly as instructed. They do not make anyone better straight away and take time to build up in the system and gain some control over the infection or virus that is making your bird sick.

I do not think you should stop doing what a qualified vet told you to do. Why do you feel he is suffering too much? Why is it that you always think he is sick? Has he had a history of being constantly unwell or have you had a history of bad advice from a qualified vet? I am not fully understanding what the issue is here @Lucas2019
I feel he suffers when he make those whizzing sound and he gets all puffy and his eye gets all disoriented then after that passes he gets back to normal. He has been sick lately. I left a message to his avian vet I hope I get a call back . I won’t stop the medicine for now then. And I will try to post videos here

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
But why do you think he is suffering more now that he is having the medication than he was when he was sneezing?
I think he suffers cause he was making the wheezing sound and is very sad when he does that.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Yes I remember he was just recently sneezing a lot with some clear discharge. But why do you think he is suffering more now that he is having the medication than he was when he was sneezing? Could what you are seeing be the antibiotics finally kicking in and making him better, clearing whatever is still in his sinuses out? What did the vet say was the problem and reason for sneezing?
I feel that way cause he has been wheezing but I think he has sneeze a little bit less beside Wednesday when he sneeze a lot and some clear discharge was running down his beak . This is his 4 day on antibiotics, she says he has respiratory infection

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am wondering if it is the antibiotics fighting with what ever illness was making him unwell and causing him to feel a little under the weather.
Does he make the wheezing sound constantly or is it before he does a big sneeze and then some clear breathing?
I just know that sometimes when your sinuses are clogged up, all that grot has to go somewhere when the antibiotics start to kill off all the bad that is causing the mucous and that can sometimes make things a bit yuckier till the body sneezes or blows it all away.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My guess is that it is the antibiotics finally trying to kill off all the bad infection that should not be there and the bad fighting back if you know what I mean.

I have never had a bird with a respiratory infection so I am not certain of what to expect. I do know that sometimes things have a bit of a hard time fighting with the antibiotics till the antibiotics win. Hopefully @Mockinbirdiva or one of the others who knows more about illnesses will come along and give you some support and advice but I am leaning towards what the medical people all say which is do not stop a course of antibiotics sooner than you have been told to.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I am wondering if it is the antibiotics fighting with what ever illness was making him unwell and causing him to feel a little under the weather.
Does he make the wheezing sound constantly or is it before he does a big sneeze and then some clear breathing?
I just know that sometimes when your sinuses are clogged up, all that grot has to go somewhere when the antibiotics start to kill off all the bad that is causing the mucous and that can sometimes make things a bit yuckier till the body sneezes or blows it all away.
He does when he finished preening but now that he is sick he does when he scratched his nares and then does that like regurgitating with that sound. Now he did it twice he was sleeping

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
My guess is that it is the antibiotics finally trying to kill off all the bad infection that should not be there and the bad fighting back if you know what I mean.
Yes I really hope is that so he can get cured soon

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I am trying to get him to his avian vet , cause I hate to see how he reacts with this antibiotics. Also he has been trying to shower but I haven’t let him . Would that be bad if I let him ?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If it is warm enough and he is not in a cold drafty room then I can not see a reason to stop him from bathing. Bathing is great for them in many ways and unless your vet told you to stop him from bathing I would say go for it let him get his bath!

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
If it is warm enough and he is not in a cold drafty room then I can not see a reason to stop him from bathing. Bathing is great for them in many ways and unless your vet told you to stop him from bathing I would say go for it let him get his bath!
She didn’t said anything about not letting him bath . Is been warm here in California I am planning on letting him shower tomorrow .

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Lucas2019 If we are to help you or give you any advice, you must give us more INFORMATION not just what you are feeling.
What did the vet say was wrong with him the first time he was ill?
What medication did the vet prescribe for him then? (the name of it please)
Did you follow the vets instructions exactly?
How long did it take for him to get well?

What did the vet say was wrong with him this second time?
What medication did the vet prescribe this time? (the name of it please)
Have you followed his instructions exactly?
How long has your bird been on the medication?
Did he improve when you first gave the meds to him?
Is your vet an avian vet? - important.

You really need to calm yourself down and not make a crisis out of everything. Your being so very frantic all of the time is not doing your bird any good.

Believe it or not every one of us on this forum loves our bird(s) just as much as you do. We also worry when our birds are sick, but focus on helping them, not panicin

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
@Lucas2019 If we are to help you or give you any advice, you must give us more INFORMATION not just what you are feeling.
What did the vet say was wrong with him the first time he was ill?
What medication did the vet prescribe for him then? (the name of it please)
Did you follow the vets instructions exactly?
How long did it take for him to get well?

What did the vet say was wrong with him this second time?
What medication did the vet prescribe this time? (the name of it please)
Have you followed his instructions exactly?
How long has your bird been on the medication?
Did he improve when you first gave the meds to him?
Is your vet an avian vet? - important.

You really need to calm yourself down and not make a crisis out of everything. Your being so very frantic all of the time is not doing your bird any good.

Believe it or not every one of us on this forum loves our bird(s) just as much as you do. We also worry when our birds are sick, but focus on helping them, not panicin
The first time it was back in February and he had a cough so I took him to a regular vet cause I didn’t know I had to take him to an avian vet . Then I asked here and they told me I need it one for avians so after I finished with the medicines I took him to that avian vet and they did a blood test and sensitivity and culture test and they said he was normal he didn’t had anything and that the infection was gone. He took bidryl back them for 7 days and the cough was gone by the 3 day and yes I follow instructions as they told me . And he also took his probiotics after that antibiotics.

Ok then after like a month he start sneezing and at first I thought it was normal end I asked here and they said it was but not too much. Then he start sneezing with clear discharge and keep scratching his nares and he only did the wheezing sound while making a tiny sound of wheezing. Then I wanted to take him back to his avian vet since he wasn’t doing well but they never answered and I need it a vet ASAP so I took him back to the first vet and she told me it didn’t have any congestion’s in his chest and heart was fine. Then I called her back after a week cause he didn’t improved so she told me with the symptoms he had that he have a respiratory infection and he prescribed him a medicine which I have to find the name cause I am in bed. Yes he did then he got sneezing with discharge then good then not good again. I been trying to call his avian vet

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One gram loss is nothing - absolutely nothing. How long has he been on the current medication? And what is it's name.