• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should i steam or blanch ?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have been making Mojos chop fresh twice a day but have decided to do a load and freeze it. I have never cooked any of her veggies but plan on doing this now am i best steaming or blanching ?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only cook throughly sweet potatoes and beans, and I steam dark leafy greens. Most veggies are fine without cooking.
Thanks Mizzely

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Frozen chop seems to get mushy when it is thawed out. Fresh is the best except for sweet potatoes as they should not be fed raw. Then steam would be the way that preserves the nutrients the most.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Frozen chop seems to get mushy when it is thawed out. Fresh is the best except for sweet potatoes as they should not be fed raw. Then steam would be the way that preserves the nutrients the most.
I need to prepare stuff as my work circumstances have just changed i have been home working for 18 months however i need to go onsite next week to get a new initiative up and running.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I cook sweet potatoes and butternut squash and I make my batch for 2-3 days refrigerated at a time then serve small fresh portions 5 times a day. The 2-3 days seems fine; I add in fonio, chia seeds and quinoa (along with many veggies) to keep the moisture down.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Rubbermaid makes a style of containers for keeping veggies fresh. Dont remember what they are called. If you lived near me you could have my two as they are no longer new.

Looked it up. FreshWorks produce savers. On Amazon

Last edited: