• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Should I 'rescue' this fledgling seagull??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He looks like a premature fledgling. He is wondering around my yard and around everyone's houses and the apartment complex nearby. He is definitely a fledgling but cannot fly. There are so many kids and loose animals around here. I honestly don't know if I should take him in and call the rehabbers or leave him be. His parents are no where insight. I'm just worried about the kids and animals getting to him. He doesnt appear to be hurt, just cant fly but walks away just fine.

Suggestions?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
UGh - that's a hard decision! I would keep my eye on him as best I could, and see if there are any signs of the parents. If he seems to be abandoned, you could take him to PAWS. Their wildlife center is right in Lynnwood. I've taken animals there before and it's a great place. PAWS - Hours & Directions

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I was either going to take him to PAWS or Sarvey Wildlife center (where I volunteered at). Poor guy. I hope he is ok.:(

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Me too. Such a hard call to make. :straightface:

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
How long has he been running around? An hour? A few hours? If it's gone on for a few hours and you haven't seen any other sea gulls trying to help him or following him then I'd assume take him to a rescue. If it's just been an hour or so then they might be out getting food or some other such thing. Is there a way for you to corral him into a fenced yard? Somewhere he could be heard calling for his parents, but NOT able to get into run ins with animals or kids?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Nope, no fensed yard idea will work. I've only been home for an hour and noticed it for an hour. We live on a lake, many gulls, ducks, geese, etc. But not tending to this little one, noor is he mewing for his parents. He is just wandering around, napping behind cars now, wandering and just...standing there. I have no Idea how long this has been going on.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I last saw him hiding under a car. I haven't seen him since :( I hope he is ok. When I take my dog for a walk this AM I will keep an eye out for him.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Poor guy, I hope he's alright!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award