• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should i or should i not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
Hi Guys,

It's almost christmas and new year. First of all, Merry christmas to you all!! May we all always happy and healthy for the coming years!!

Okay, i have been thinking and i know this may sound stupid.

But im thinking to get a budgie for my teil. And planning to keep it separate at first and eventually move them in te same cage together. Is this a good idea? Or is this totally not a good idea?

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Totally not (a good idea) Although you may get lucky and they may get on and be buddies. Budgies are known to be a bit "bossy" and can inflict damage and tiels are more laid back, not a good mix. I would never put my tiel with my budgies

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I wouldn't allow my Budgie to be in the same cage with any of my other birds. She's got quite a bite! I can't even let the little guys out with her for flight in the same room, as she goes for the toes of other birds.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Your intentions may be thoughtful to get your tiel a "buddy" but I agree with the others - a budgie and a tiel - usually not a good mix.:( Budgies can be very aggressive to tiels. And often, even another tiel does not guarantee they will get along. I had a tiel for a couple of years as my only bird - decided to bring home another one thinking they would be great companions - he never liked her. He was never aggressive to her but he did not like her - at all. :(

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Despite Junior (budgie) getting along great with Sparky and Oz, you don't know how a budgie would react to your tiel. If you want to get a friend for your tiel, you'd be better off getting another cockatiel.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are very few budgie - tiel couples that work. As stated, budgies can be quite aggressive to tiels.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Yep, what others have said. Budgies are more flighty and hyper than laid back 'tiels in my opinion so not a good energy mix anyway. Don't ever get a bird for a bird though as there are no guarantees that the relationship will work out. If you want the best chance of a good outcome get another cockatiel but prepare for them to hate each other. They may get along just fine but if they don't you need to make sure you still have the time and space for both of them just in case.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I actually think that Budgie and tiels can do great together as companions for company, although I wouldn't house them together. I had many Cockatiels and Budgie and all got along fine hanging out in the bird room and being caged in the same room.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
NO! From someone who's done it and failed miserably. My Budgie, Spice became obsessed with my Cockatiel and wouldn't stop harassing him everyday. Cockatiels are calm lovers, budgies live to squabble. They don't mesh. I had to rehome my Spice recently to a good home, but I regret thinking a budgie and a cockatiel will live harmoniously. I would advise against it!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, it's possible, although if you aren't interested in another cockatiel, may I suggest a bourke parakeet instead? I often think of them as the parrot version of finches, hyper, flighty little birds (I *DO NOT* recommend clipping them), however, they also have a passive and laid back personality. They aren't "in your face" like budgies are, so it's a combo that may work out better.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oh yeah, a Bourke would be great with a cockatiel. An English budgie might be a better choice than an American one too. They are more laid back in general.

Yes, it's possible, although if you aren't interested in another cockatiel, may I suggest a bourke parakeet instead? I often think of them as the parrot version of finches, hyper, flighty little birds (I *DO NOT* recommend clipping them), however, they also have a passive and laid back personality. They aren't "in your face" like budgies are, so it's a combo that may work out better.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes, that can happen too if the budgie is way more into the tiel.

NO! From someone who's done it and failed miserably. My Budgie, Spice became obsessed with my Cockatiel and wouldn't stop harassing him everyday. Cockatiels are calm lovers, budgies live to squabble. They don't mesh. I had to rehome my Spice recently to a good home, but I regret thinking a budgie and a cockatiel will live harmoniously. I would advise against it!!

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
A tiel is a better buddy for a tiel.

Like others have said, there are no guarantees they will like each other/get along, but if you take your time with introductions and let them get to know each other at their own pace, chances are pretty good they can be compatible.

My two hit it off very quickly. They are an opposite sex pair that a more friends than mates. They hang out together, but they don't really cuddle or preen each other- which is perfect in my opinion.

The plan was to introduce them slowly, away from either cage, and allow them to get to know each other and then if they got along, get one flight cage for the two of them, or if they didn't get along so well, have two cages.

Within 24 hours of first introductions, they were sharing one cage and have been happy ever since. I did get them a flight cage, and they are very happy in it.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I agree that tiels generally get along. All of mine, including myown tiels and some i fostered all got along great.

A tiel is a better buddy for a tiel.

Like others have said, there are no guarantees they will like each other/get along, but if you take your time with introductions and let them get to know each other at their own pace, chances are pretty good they can be compatible.

My two hit it off very quickly. They are an opposite sex pair that a more friends than mates. They hang out together, but they don't really cuddle or preen each other- which is perfect in my opinion.

The plan was to introduce them slowly, away from either cage, and allow them to get to know each other and then if they got along, get one flight cage for the two of them, or if they didn't get along so well, have two cages.

Within 24 hours of first introductions, they were sharing one cage and have been happy ever since. I did get them a flight cage, and they are very happy in it.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!! Budgies are incredibly aggressive despite their size and have been known to seriously injure the more laid back tiels...there are some cases, where they get along wonderfully, but you are playing with fire by even trying it....OUr tame budgie, Baby Boy Blue can only come out at certain times of the day for an hour at a stretch because of this..he is very aggressive and while, Princess Mitch lunges at him, he always heads for the little handicapped guy, so we have to keep a constant vigil while he is out..and Sam hates his guts so she just flees in sheer terror...and I will never forget the sight of our little boy getting nearly pecked to death by budgies in the huge enclosure he was in at the pet store with a bunch of other tiels and budgies..the budgies were relentless...it was when a huge budgie was hanging on his back and pecking him soundly on the head that I started to scream for the clerk..god only knows what other peckings he endured...The vet said that another week, and he would have been dead...They were preventing him from eating and he was surviving on food that was dropped to the floor of the enclosure...I will never forget the first time I spotted him scrabblinon the floor, it took ages for all the peck marks on his head to heal. Even if you are lucky enough to get a budgie that your tiel will tolerate, it is a real crap shoot...and never buy a bird for a bird..even another tiel is risky..you just don't know if they will get along.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I actually think that Budgie and tiels can do great together as companions for company, although I wouldn't house them together. I had many Cockatiels and Budgie and all got along fine hanging out in the bird room and being caged in the same room.
Sparky (tiel) and Junior (budgie) were friends for many years and shared a cage. When Oz came here, Junior became friends with him too. Especially after Junior got sick, I didn't trust Oz alone with her because Oz was a bit of a bully to her at times. Oz and Junior had their own cages. While out of the cage, Junior and Oz were allowed to sit on the stand together, but Oz much preferred me anyway, much to Junior's dismay. It's definitely possible, but there's no guarantee they'll get along. By the way, Junior is a female budgie which are more known for being aggressive and when she became friends with Sparky, she was about 4 or 5 years old. When I got Oz, she was 9 or 10 and she's mellowed in her old age.

I have plenty of pictures of Junior and Sparky sitting together. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Part of the issue, in my experience is that the Budgie can be so social that the can get over interested. I think, if I were you and you end goal is housing them together, I'd get another Cockatiel. It is just very likely they will get along if introduced properly.

parsley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Terri
This thread is somewhat addressing what I have been pondering. I had for many years, a pair of cockatiels and they were very happy clear into their twenties. I now have a single male. He is young, perhaps a year old. I am gone through the day at work, and he has time out usually in the morning and always in the evening. I however feel bad about his alone time. Given the obvious, he and another male tiel may or may not get along, would you try another male tiel with the goal that they would be housed together or, and it seems like I read this here somewhere, a budgie in his own cage but near for company? thank you!

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
This thread is somewhat addressing what I have been pondering. I had for many years, a pair of cockatiels and they were very happy clear into their twenties. I now have a single male. He is young, perhaps a year old. I am gone through the day at work, and he has time out usually in the morning and always in the evening. I however feel bad about his alone time. Given the obvious, he and another male tiel may or may not get along, would you try another male tiel with the goal that they would be housed together or, and it seems like I read this here somewhere, a budgie in his own cage but near for company? thank you!
Either of those situations would work. You can house 2 male tiels in a flight cage together, most likely without any issues. And you can have a tiel's and budgie's cages next to each other and they will forge a flock bond and keep each other company.

Status
Not open for further replies.