• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I Keep Trying?

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
Okay for some replies

@Fuzzy @JoJo&Loki @Shezbug @Sunny&Mars
I would love to let his wings grow out and let him fly as he pleases. However, I have a concern. I don't want him flying up to a place where I can't reach him. Let's say I have to leave the house and he's outside of his cage, and maybe he's up on a cabinet or something. I don't want him to be out of his cage while I'm gone, because I've noticed that sometimes when I have the blinds on the windows open, he seems to want to get out. I don't want him getting outside when I open the door to leave or when I come back. So I wouldn't know how to get him back in his cage. But otherwise I would love not have his wings clipped.

@Mizzely @Tiel Feathers @Ripshod @Tara81
You know, you guys are right. I should look at it this way: cockatiels are like people. Everyone has a different personality, and you can't make them be something that they're not. I should just enjoy my bird as he is :) And I guess all those videos are like anything else posted on social media lol. All that is shown is the good because no one wants to see the bad.

@Shezbug
I'm glad to hear that I'll have a more positive experience here. I really appreciate it. Hope I can learn more from you guys!

@Khizz
I really like that analogy. I'll be keeping that one in mind. Thank you!

@JoJo&Loki @Leih
I posted pics!! :D

I think that's about it. Again thank you so much for your guys' replies and advice. I will continue to work with him and be patient. Also sorry if this is an awkward way to reply to people!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I was just scrolling down to say what others have already said, I think you're farther than you think! He looks content to hang out with you!

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Your tiel is beautiful! What's his name (or did I miss that). I agree with the others that you coming along nicely with him. As @Mizzely said, another way to enjoy your bird is to spoil him with toys, a big cage, yummy healthy food. It really warms the heart to watch your bird playing with toys and enjoying good food (birdie bread is a good one to start with).

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup, looks like are going in the right direction!

To build on what @Mizzely and @SunUp have said, another fun part of having birds is toys! For me I enjoy making toys or providing enrichment by finding new things for them to investigate!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Tau is a hissy bitey beast. I can't ask him to step up or anything, he just wants to be left alone. That's him 99% of the time. He's the most stay away, stand-offish bird I've ever met.
HOWEVER, every once in a while he'll come to me and pull leg hairs until I offer my hand for a step-up, and he'll spend 15 minutes just being the sweetest bird I ever met. And that makes him special to me.
Tau sounds so much like Mocha was...except that Mocha never did show that 1% that Tau shows oh so rarely...

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

To build on what @Mizzely and @SunUp have said, another fun part of having birds is toys! For me I enjoy making toys or providing enrichment by finding new things for them to investigate!
I love making toys too! It's really a great feeling when you make something for them and they obviously love it! Plus it keeps my crafty nature busy ;)

Last edited:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Hello all! I'm new to the forum, so I'm sorry if something like this has been posted before. I am also new to owning birds, so I'm sorry if this might seem obvious.

I got a cockatiel back in May. I love him, he's so cute. I got him from Petsmart. I really wanted to get one from a breeder, but I just live too far away to be able to drive to one. I thought that even if I didn't get one from a breeder, I would be able to make it work out. When I got him, they told me he was about four months old, so he should be about seven months old now.

So far, I think he's doing okay with getting used to me. I've gotten him to step onto my finger and to eat from my hand. But only if he's in a certain mood, and only if there is food involved. I'd say about half of the time he will willing come to me, and the other half of the time when I try to get him onto my finger he backs off and hisses at me. I wonder if he only interacts with me at all because he knows that I give him food, but he doesn't really appreciate my company. When I offer him food, I can tell that he's trembling, and then gets over it and climbs onto my hand.

And he doesn't let me touch him. I got a cockatiel because I wanted a bird that I could be "friends" with, and could be cuddly with. I want to give him scritches and all that. I really want to spoil this bird. But he won't have any of that. The closest I've gotten him to do is this little thing (and I don't know how/why this came to be but I think it's funny) where I will offer him some millet, then say "boop" and he will let me gently touch his beak, and then I will let him have the millet. Again, it's only if food is involved.

I also think he's been a bit hesitant to be completely comfortable with me because I had to take him to the vet twice. Once to get his wings clipped (didn't want him accidentally hurting himself) and to get him checked up on. They couldn't do it in one go, due to some scheduling thing. So I had to kind of grab him to get him into his carrying case so that we could go (I would try to gently scoop him up into both of my hands so I wouldn't accidentally hurt him). Needless to say, he didn't like that at all. There was biting. But I really didn't know what else to do.

I've seen all the videos where cockatiels are singing and being cuddly, and I really want that. I've posted about this before on some other places, and I've gotten mixed answers. Some have told me that I'm doing okay and that I just need to continue to work with him and just be really patient. Others have told me that I shouldn't have a bird at all if I don't know how to handle one... Some of been pretty mean about it, and it's been getting to me, honestly. I want to be sure that my bird is happy.

Sorry this is long, but I thought that those details would be helpful. I thought I would see what you guys think. Thank you!
Birds have different personalities and they take a lot of time and patience and despite this, you may not get the behaviors that you want. I have a female tiel named Bella. Yes, I look at all of those videos also and wish that she would do some of those behaviors. When I first got her, she thought that I was going to eat her and didn't want anything to do with me. Over time (I have had her for 5 years) she grew into her personality. She is not a big cuddler but will cuddle occasionally. Honestly, she would rather hang out with all of her toys than on me. But she wants me around because she flock calls when I am not near her. What I wanted her to do is to have rhythm. When music is on, she just sits there. She will never talk, except for the word no but she is a character and I wouldn't trade her for anything. It may take a long time to gain his trust. You just need time, patience, and to keep letting him know that you are there and you are taking good care of him.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Birds have different personalities and they take a lot of time and patience and despite this, you may not get the behaviors that you want. I have a female tiel named Bella. Yes, I look at all of those videos also and wish that she would do some of those behaviors. When I first got her, she thought that I was going to eat her and didn't want anything to do with me. Over time (I have had her for 5 years) she grew into her personality. She is not a big cuddler but will cuddle occasionally. Honestly, she would rather hang out with all of her toys than on me. But she wants me around because she flock calls when I am not near her. What I wanted her to do is to have rhythm. When music is on, she just sits there. She will never talk, except for the word no but she is a character and I wouldn't trade her for anything. It may take a long time to gain his trust. You just need time, patience, and to keep letting him know that you are there and you are taking good care of him.
Just something I noticed, almost all females don't have rhythm. They don't go out of their way to show off to others very often. The males, they are the show offs . Some of them have some rhythm !

One thing you can do that can be a fun bonding experience is train her to move her head up and down ! You can teach cockatiels tricks with training , it's very fun for both of you if you do it in short sessions at first ! My tiel can wave, spread wings, shake hands, target a stick, fly to me, fetch a small object (plastic toy or vine ball), turn in a full circle, ring a bell for a treat. It took anywhere from 3 days to 1.5 months to teach each trick. The fetch trick took the longest, she would grab her toy then run off with it, fun times!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Just something I noticed, almost all females don't have rhythm. They don't go out of their way to show off to others very often. The males, they are the show offs . Some of them have some rhythm !

One thing you can do that can be a fun bonding experience is train her to move her head up and down ! You can teach cockatiels tricks with training , it's very fun for both of you if you do it in short sessions at first ! My tiel can wave, spread wings, shake hands, target a stick, fly to me, fetch a small object (plastic toy or vine ball), turn in a full circle, ring a bell for a treat. It took anywhere from 3 days to 1.5 months to teach each trick. The fetch trick took the longest, she would grab her toy then run off with it, fun times!
I didn't realize that it was only the boys that have rhythm. That is so cool that your bird can do that. Unfortunately, I do not have the patience or time to teach Bella too much.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know much about teils but it looks like there's some enjoyment hanging out w/ you. I can tell you that anyone that owns a bird had to "Start" somewhere & that "Start" was where it was their 1st bird. Read lots, & you will learn quickly. There's a bunch to learn.

I agree w/ @Tara81 , learn how to sprout! It will save you $ on food & you can invest towards more toys, bigger cage, a nive ladder... Whatever you 2 are dreaminf about as your next big thing. I wish I had started sooner! It's easier than grocery shopping! :joyful:

The green links in here will help explain how & whys...

Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Keep training & spending time. Try to get yourself & your fid on a schedule. This is huge. I thought it wasn't but I listened to one of the Cockatoo whisperer's around here & little dod he know, he whispers to Zon's too & if it works for you an itty bitty teil. Welcome to the Avenue! & more pics please!!! The ones you shared are great!:heart:

:hug9: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I didn't realize that it was only the boys that have rhythm. That is so cool that your bird can do that. Unfortunately, I do not have the patience or time to teach Bella too much.
It really doesn't take much time. I started with 3 -5 minute training session once per day. Eventually did twice per day , then slowed down to once per day. Nowadays its whenever :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiel is beautiful. Since May really isn't that long of a time. Just keep trying and moving at his pace. :)

Tari&Miguel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlotte
I have 2 little dudes.. tari&miguel... Tari is a rescue and is so cuddly and loves me so bad ...Miguel is a rescue and he was in pretty bad shape when I got him a year ago... he still doesn’t like me too much, i want to give him head scratchers but he won’t let me, while tar begs for them... but Miguel has stopped bombing my head when I try to get him back in his cage ... and he now steps up on my finger without biting my finger, he still doesn’t trust me all the way.. but I’ve just been very patient and not pushy with him... it’s really rewarding and special when he warms up to me even a tiny bit. Keep your chin up, I was bummed at first because he wasn’t cuddles like Tari... but scratchers and cuddles don’t suit Miguel, he wouldn’t be his sassy self if he was that way. Just saying... every bird is different and special in their own way

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran

I LOVE buying toys and setting up play areas! My husband thinks I'm crazy but I LOVE IT! so much fun! VEN is TOO CUTE!! I agree he is doing great!!! So are u!! Keep us updated!!!:cool6: