• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I keep feeding her Formula?

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
Hello! My tiel is 3 months old, and her previous owner crop feeds her formula with a syringe and tube. They suggested I continue feeding her that way morning and afternoon to keep her healthy. Should I? She also eats seeds, and I've seen her eat her seeds (I've tried feeding her the formula via spoon, she wouldn't touch it but I can't really say this is her refusing it because she's new! So she's still adjusting, but she's already tamed and was hand fed) If I stop, would it be bad for her?

Also I meant *her in the title oops!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
@Staff please can you change that?
Hello! My tiel is 3 months old, and her previous owner crop feeds her formula with a syringe and tube. They suggested I continue feeding her that way morning and afternoon to keep her healthy. Should I? She also eats seeds, and I've seen her eat her seeds (I've tried feeding her the formula via spoon, she wouldn't touch it but I can't really say this is her refusing it because she's new! So she's still adjusting, but she's already tamed and was hand fed) If I stop, would it be bad for her?
Is she eating when you feed her using a syringe? If yes you should keep offfering her formula using it, as she may not be accustomed to use a spoon. @Zara

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Tiels usually wean between 10-12 weeks so if she is eating on her own I would continue to really encourage her and stop the crop feeding. You can still offer feeds but I think you are best to try to feed any way that is not crop feeding.

Is there a reason the previous owner said to crop feed instead of syringe or spoon?

She is a baby so you will need to keep a check on her weight and condition but now is a great time to introduce many good foods.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
Tiels usually wean between 10-12 weeks so if she is eating on her own I would continue to really encourage her and stop the crop feeding. You can still offer feeds but I think you are best to try to feed any way that is not crop feeding.

Is there a reason the previous owner said to crop feed instead of syringe or spoon?

She is a baby so you will need to keep a check on her weight and condition but now is a great time to introduce many good foods.
They just mentioned that it's what they preferred and think it'd help her be much healthier. And it's crop feeding via syringe (with tube) that they requested. Though she seems to welcome other foods pretty easily - I offered her sprouts and she picked them up right away (though I don't think she knows how to eat them yet cause she'd chew then drop them then pick another one up and do the same)

She'd go down to eat her seeds more often than my older tiel - is it normal for her to eat a lot at this age?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is sometimes prefered by breeders because it is quicker. And when the little one first goes home, it´s already enough change as it is without changing the feeding method too.

I would continue to really encourage her and stop the crop feeding. You can still offer feeds but I think you are best to try to feed any way that is not crop feeding.
Yes, the problem with the gavage feeding is that the bird doesn´t know how to eat properly. Try to get her eating off of a spoon, it´s the best way, especially at her age. And if she is eating the sprouts and the seeds then great, keep offering as much adult foods as she wants, especially after formula.

is it normal for her to eat a lot at this age?
As Shez said, Your bird is in the approx. weaning age now, and so her eating on her own is a good thing :)

If yes you should keep offfering her formula using it
If you don´t know, then don´t offer advice. Especially when talking about baby birds.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
It is sometimes prefered by breeders because it is quicker. And when the little one first goes home, it´s already enough change as it is without changing the feeding method too.

Yes, the problem with the gavage feeding is that the bird doesn´t know how to eat properly. Try to get her eating off of a spoon, it´s the best way, especially at her age. And if she is eating the sprouts and the seeds then great, keep offering as much adult foods as she wants, especially after formula.

As Shez said, Your bird is in the approx. weaning age now, and so her eating on her own is a good thing :)

If you don´t know, then don´t offer advice. Especially when talking about baby birds.
Thank you for the replies! I was worried my tiel's health would be affected by the change, or that she might be overeating (?), but I'll continue encouraging her to eat other foods instead of the formula, especially now that she's already eating seeds. I wasn't looking forward to having to force down the syringe, so it's good to know it's not really needed. :scrstf: :tielmu:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wasn't looking forward to having to force down the syringe, so it's good to know it's not really needed. :scrstf:
I don´t know how to do it (gavage feed) as I´ve never had to, but I would also not look forward to doing it. As she is doing well with the other foods, she should be ok.
I would recommend weighing her morning and night and keeping a log.
Has she tried eating pellets or vegetables? Give those a go, see if she takes to them :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also recommend weighing her daily to check that she isn't losing weight. You should do this at the same time each day - most people do this first thing in the morning when the bird has an empty crop.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
I don´t know how to do it (gavage feed) as I´ve never had to, but I would also not look forward to doing it. As she is doing well with the other foods, she should be ok.
I would recommend weighing her morning and night and keeping a log.
Has she tried eating pellets or vegetables? Give those a go, see if she takes to them :)
Just sprouted lentils for now! I'll try feeding her carrots when we get some.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
I would also recommend weighing her daily to check that she isn't losing weight. You should do this at the same time each day - most people do this first thing in the morning when the bird has an empty crop.
I'll keep track!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My little ones love sprouted lentils and mung beans. Try offering some quinoa, broccoli, peas tend to be a fave too, peppers (any colour), sweet potato (cooked) is popular with baby birds though my youngest doesn´t like it.

I follow this guide to help me figure out what foods to offer , My Chop "Recipe"

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa

Welcome,
You should still offer her formula until she refuses it and have a mixture of seeds, pellets, and fresh veggies available during the day. When she can eat enough on her own, she will refuse the syringe. What is her name and do you have a picture?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When she can eat enough on her own, she will refuse the syringe.
OP said the breeder told her to gavage feed (tube feed), birds can´t refuse that.

You should still offer her formula until she refuses it
Yes definitely, on a spoon though.
If she didn´t take it at first it is because she had just come home, keep offering it.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I don't know much about baby birds..
But if she is eating sprouts and seeds maybe..
Well you could shake the sprouts and seeds in the baby formula? Make sure they are coated and then offer it along side the seeds and sprouts and things as a mash on a plate?
I dunno thats how I get my birds to eat pellets, let them soak, mash them up and put seeds and sprouts on top.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid idea or if I'm over stepping boundaries e.e

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
Welcome,
You should still offer her formula until she refuses it and have a mixture of seeds, pellets, and fresh veggies available during the day. When she can eat enough on her own, she will refuse the syringe. What is her name and do you have a picture?
I don't have a picture of her in this pc currently sorry;

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
I don't know much about baby birds..
But if she is eating sprouts and seeds maybe..
Well you could shake the sprouts and seeds in the baby formula? Make sure they are coated and then offer it along side the seeds and sprouts and things as a mash on a plate?
I dunno thats how I get my birds to eat pellets, let them soak, mash them up and put seeds and sprouts on top.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid idea or if I'm over stepping boundaries e.e
I appreciate the reply! I tried mixing the formula with the seeds, but she ended up avoiding her bowl. My concern was more if I should keep feeding the formula rather than how to feed her seeds, because she has no problem with seeds! Everyone's given good help.