• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get two males or two females?

Mer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mer
Hello!

I was hoping to get peoples opinions about my new pair I will be getting soon.. soon to be weaned.

I have two options.. a pair of pearl females or a pair of pied males. Color isn’t important to me but I am mostly interested in the personality.

I had a single lovebird who was extremely loud and extremely demanding. He was a joy but a lot of work! He had a really rough life before I got him…I love the idea of the females being a bit quieter and I have also heard they are just a bit more mellow. But of course there is the bold personality of the males that is also appealing. Does anyone have a preference or opinion?

Thanks!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I had a male that was temperamental and wasn’t very hands on, but we developed a wonderful bond and I loved him dearly. I have three females who are mostly quiet, mellow, and personable, who I also love dearly. Can you go and meet them and see which birds you click with more? Will they have a big cage? Can you get one of each?

Mer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mer
I had a male that was temperamental and wasn’t very hands on, but we developed a wonderful bond and I loved him dearly. I have three females who are mostly quiet, mellow, and personable, who I also love dearly. Can you go and meet them and see which birds you click with more? Will they have a big cage? Can you get one of each?
Thanks for your input! I don’t want them to mate so I wanted same sex pairs. Glad to hear you love your girls!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree- I think you should meet them and see who you click with. I have only had tiel boys. My first was a love bug. My current two are a little more hands off but still love attention and to whistle and chirp. I got them as seniors though and I don't think were handled a lot in the prior homes. Otherwise, I suspect they would be more affectionate. Tiel girls are said to be quieter, etc but really it depends on the individual bird.

Chris82

Strolling the yard
My tiel girl isn't quiet but she is very affectionate. I wanted a male so i could teach him how to whistle but my female has a brilliant personality