• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

should i get pair of cockatiel with layed eggs home

should I get them

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Mahmoudm.k

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
mahmoud
I went the other day to pet shop/breeder and he was trying to sell pair cockatiel male and female 18 months old with layed eggs that are a week old, should I get them

am scared the pairs would panic and get aggressive cus of the new environment leading to unborn cockatiels

I want to breed cockatiels but I am scared of egg blending, so this looks promising

if you have any past experience, do you have any advice

disclaimer -- I do already have female cockatiel does it matter if I put them in the same room ( she is 5 months old)

questions

should I get them

and can I keep cockatiel together (in the same room)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Same room yes but never same cage.

I'd keep them as far apart as possible as the parents could deem the other bird a threat.

Don;t know///always a chance of problems with breeding & babies.

So they are on eggs? They could abandon them one never knows...even if nothing was changed but the move could cause issues.

Its up to you...if they are going to be sold with eggs then someone will have to deal with it.

Guess we dont even know if the eggs are fertile. Not sure when they tiel eggs hatch but looks like they are in the critical period right now for incubation & you should be able to tell if they are fertile.

Cockatiel Egg-laying and Incubation | Beauty of Birds

I would not worry about the eggs. Some people will even substitute dummy eggs to prevent babies but that should be done asap.

If you do have babies would you be prepared to care for them in the event the parents did not?

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
my cockatiel bonded pair had eggs, 3 babies hatched, they are now almost 18 months old. I was lucky they are very good parents. but, even with good parents keep in mind it is a lot of work and time for the owner. we stayed home most of time for about 1st 6 weeks after chicks hatched. things have to be kept very clean, we kept a close watch after babies were hatched, we kept a close eye on them. babies need to be kept warm, parents sit on them. the parents eat a lot when feeding the babies. what they eat goes to feed the babies and the parents. they went through a lot of millet spray, pellets, corn, peas as well as seeds. much more than fed normally. I remember at the time we had another pair of cockatiels. well, they just were curious, wanted to look at the eggs, and were more curious when the babies hatched. we ended up rehoming the pair that was curious, because the male of the pair that laid the eggs was going after the male of other pair, in mid flight even, fighting.I was afraid the dad would kill the other male. they were never living in same cage. then, the other pair started to lay eggs too, but the 1st pair, along with their babies when they got flighted, started to go into other pair's cage. the 2nd pair apparantly did not feel safe to lay eggs in their own cage, so she laid them in: a cabinet behind a glass door, the windowsill, and another cabinet. the male sat there, I asked him where his mate is, usually they point their head where another bird is, he just stood still, not moving. so keep this in mind, your other female can start to lay eggs even if she doesn't have a mate. and she could feel unsafe with the other pair around, especially if she's curious and just wants to look. Putting the other bird in another room would probably be a good idea, at least until the babies fledge. It seems once that happens I think they treat them more like any other bird. I don't know what would happen if their babies lay eggs. that has not happened, hope it doesn't. Our 1st pair, especially the male, was extremely protective and hormonal as far as the 2nd pair of birds goes. He normally is a real sweet friendly bird and has never been mean to any other bird. The mother bird has laid more eggs since but I replace them with fakes. One way I have found to tell if an egg is fertile is it is pinkish in color. It is a subtle color difference, but you can tell if it's next to something that is white. It is an unforgetable experience to raise baby birds, kind of a miracle really. they change day by day. growth rate is fast. their eyes have a film over them, like dogs do, at first and all cockatiel babies are born with yellow fuzz, which is down. they hold themselves up when standing by balancing themselves with their wing tips. they tip over sometimes, and then get back up. (we did not intend to breed, did not know eggs could be fertile, did not have a nest box), so we saw what was going on once they hatched. sometimes a baby got out from under the parent and just stood there. we would gently push the little one back by parent, who sat back on him. when first born they resemble a dinosaur, then their crop gets real big (if parents are feeding them well), it's one way to tell if baby is getting enough to eat, and their tummies are real fat. like little buddhas. then the parents start to feed them less, they get their feathers in, start to eat on their own gradually and slim down so they can fly. I hope this info is helpful. good luck to you.

Mahmoudm.k

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
mahmoud
thanks for the reply I will do my best

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Does the breeder have paper work on the pair you want to buy? There are many "dirty birds" out ther. Not sure where you are in the world but cocakatiels, budgies and lovebirds are high on that list because they are so mass produced in the US. Some breeders just see dollar signa.and sell birds with diseases. On that note I would definitely keep the new pair away from your current female if there is no certificate of health.. at least until you know for sure it is safe.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I wouldn't go for it, personally, especially if he's asking for more cash for the eggs. There's a very good chance the momma will refuse to sit on them if you move her into a new house.

If they do hatch, are you prepared to feed the chicks if momma doesn't want to feed them herself? Do you have someone to teach you how to raise baby birds and are you willing to put in hours upon hours into the babies' care?