• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

should i get my conure a friend?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I have a green cheek conure called Emi! she’s lovely! she’s super playful and friendly. the only thing is is she’s very attached to me, which is fine i don’t mind most the time! at night times when i put her to bed she still is desperate to come out and play. even at 8:30pm after a day of playing out her cage. she paces side to side at the bottom of her cage wanted to come out to play with me. i have 3 other birds, 2 cockatiels and 1 IRN. at the moment it’s all fine but i worry for when i go to school. i don’t go often it will probably be 2-3 times a week for work experience and maybe some lessons. i’m just wondering if in the future at that time i get so busy and i’m away some times a day would another conure help her? someone will be home to let her out but she won’t have human contact much during that time. what do you think?

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i think that you shouldn't necessarily get a bird for your current bird, because you need to be prepared in case that they don't get along. it sounds like she would maybe enjoy another birds company, but there's always that chance where she doesn't. you need to make sure that you are ready to take care of another conure separately if it doesn't work out. if you are prepared, then i think that it would be a good idea.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I really struggle with this decision as well. I have a feeling that my GCC would love another bird friend. But, the process of trying to find a bird she would accept, and the risk of getting stuck with a second bird is pretty scary.

I was thinking of the possibility of fostering a second bird for a little while to see what happens. Is something like that an option for you?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I really struggle with this decision as well. I have a feeling that my GCC would love another bird friend. But, the process of trying to find a bird she would accept, and the risk of getting stuck with a second bird is pretty scary.

I was thinking of the possibility of fostering a second bird for a little while to see what happens. Is something like that an option for you?
so basically i decided to go ahead with it! so far so good and they seem to love each other is great!!

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
congrats on your new baby! i'm glad to hear that they get along! i'm also crossing my fingers that my two birds get along once i bring me conure home...

koshoshio

Checking out the neighborhood
I just got a pineapple conure friend for my GCC, Kosho. They seem to be getting along well and we are on day 3! I am wondering, should I continue to keep them separately caged? I know there is a some back and forth about birds sharing cages despite if they are bonded or not. Obviously my two are not bonded yet but I have a rather large cage that gives plenty of room for both Kosho and Shio where I can provide plenty of toys so they do not feel like they have to share toys etc. Thoughts and suggestions? I am thinking I would wait 2-3 weeks before trying them out in one cage for bed time. They are our of their cages pretty much all day playing, doing some training and hanging out with the family. So really they go in there when it is bed time or when we all have to run out some place.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
so basically i decided to go ahead with it! so far so good and they seem to love each other is great!!
How is it going? Are they still getting along?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I just got a pineapple conure friend for my GCC, Kosho. They seem to be getting along well and we are on day 3! I am wondering, should I continue to keep them separately caged? I know there is a some back and forth about birds sharing cages despite if they are bonded or not. Obviously my two are not bonded yet but I have a rather large cage that gives plenty of room for both Kosho and Shio where I can provide plenty of toys so they do not feel like they have to share toys etc. Thoughts and suggestions? I am thinking I would wait 2-3 weeks before trying them out in one cage for bed time. They are our of their cages pretty much all day playing, doing some training and hanging out with the family. So really they go in there when it is bed time or when we all have to run out some place.
Are you still using separate cages? Hope it's still going well!!!