• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get it? or no?

ec0038

Checking out the neighborhood
58 days hand rasied male Eclectus baby. As a beginning, please give some advise on this bird base from these pictures. Thanks everyone! Parents are healthy and no peaking feather histories. I think he got a really cute face.
<58days>
upload_2018-2-13_14-37-58.png

<55days>
upload_2018-2-13_14-38-48.png

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I would love to give advice but need you to answer some questions: Do you have any previous experience with birds? Why do you want a bird, this one in particular? There must be more than simply "he has a cute face", you need some solid reasons. Have you done any research on birds or on this species (internet, books, volunteering, etc.)? I am not trying to overwhelm you, but there are way too many people to count who give their bird to a rescue within 1-2 years. Please tell us anything you have to say about birds and your lifestyle because we need to know these things to help you. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Agree with @BeeBop . If you know what you are getting into(like they need loads and loads of enrichment, toys, the Diets of eclectus are even more complicated then other parrots Diets, they bite, they scream, they poop, they live long and so on), and were looking for a bird then it’s okay. Although I would highly recommend visiting a couple rescues to see if a bird chooses you. You Will be giving a bird in need a home, and you Will already know what kind of temperament the bird has(with babies it’s a gamble), and depending on the age of the bird, he or she might already have gone through the most hormonal state and Will be more stable.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi. I have to admit thinking of asking you the same questions as above. Additionally this little guy is only a little over 8 weeks. He will not be weaned as yet. It is not recommended you take him home until he fully weaned at 3-4 months old. Only very experienced should finish weaning. Huge issues can occur with unsuccessful weaning that might not be obvious at first.

These guys are amazing. I have 19month male. However he has already been to vet 5 times. Hurt his foot somehow and was toe tapping. I would really recommend you look into diet requirements as he costs me $$$ to feed properly. It doesn't bother me but its a commitment for about 40-60 years. My guy is like a feathered 2 year old kid in all aspects. Theres screaming, biting, being needy, scared, ridiculously hungry but not wanting to eat his food but only mine, picks on the dog, gets upset if left at home and then being the best entertainer, most affectionate little creature, and being well behaved but only with visiotors and when in public lol So as you see these are complex creatures that need a lot of time, patience and commitment.

Hopefully we all havent put you off and youre off doing more research

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Have you studied up on Eclectus? They can be very difficult, are very sensitive birds, prone to plucking and have a very specific diet. I love Doby but I spend more on his food than for both my husband and myself

Last edited:

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Have you studied up on Eclectus? They can be very difficult, are very sensitive birds, prone to plucking and have a very specific diet. I love Doby but I spend more on his food than for both my husband and myself
Isnt that the truth especially about the food!

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I’m with what everyone else has already said. I admit that is one cute and adorable baby bird but please please make sure you know what you are getting into. That sweet baby may need much more than you realize. Their diets are very sensitive. They need huge cages and lots of out of cage time.

Milestone

I agree with what's been said and can say the birds I have, have been hard to deal with and their just little budgies and lovebirds. But I know for some people that's nothing, however eclectus are not for everybody.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
As the previous posters asked, do you have any bird experience? Why are you interested in Eclectus? How do you feel about their specialized diet considerations? Eclectus can be tough and have some special care requirements that must be taken in consideration.

ec0038

Checking out the neighborhood
Of course I have researched and studied about this parrot. and the "special diet", I don't think it's that special, same as healthy human need fruit and vegetables beside of carbs.

Regarding why I choose this breed and why I want to have it, its a personal choice and its same as asking "why you love this guy/girl and want to marry him/her?"

Looks like I can not gain any valuable info on this forums, and it became a waste for me to post the actual images of the bird.

Thank you guys for all those welcoming personal attack questions without having owned an eclectus before.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don’t think anyone attacked you personally, we just want to make sure you have done your research because you didn’t mention that and there wasn’t a lot of background information, you only Said he had a cute face. We don’t know you, we don’t know and what kind of person you are. A lot of people do not research before buying an animal, and the animal pays the price. It’s good of you are not one of those people, but we ask questions only to help you in the end. If you hadn’t researched parrots, you might have ended up in your Own personal he**, and that would have been unfortunate for you, and the parrot.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Regarding why I choose this breed and why I want to have it, its a personal choice and its same as asking "why you love this guy/girl and want to marry him/her
No it’s not. We all discuss with each other whether certain species are a good fit, because often we imagine we want one but after talking with others who own that species which is what we are trying to do here - we change our minds.

You came here to ask us for help, and people were trying to help you. The fact that you are now angry and feeling attacked is a clue that you are probably not ready to own this parrot!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No it’s not. We all discuss with each other whether certain species are a good fit, because often we imagine we want one but after talking with others who own that species which is what we are trying to do here - we change our minds.

You came here to ask us for help, and people were trying to help you. The fact that you are now angry and feeling attacked is a clue that you are probably not ready to own this parrot!
Absolutely.

When one asks for advice they need to be prepared to hear all sides and consider all sides. Not just what they "want to hear".

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
And he's gone. Hope he comes back.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maybe he’ll at least read here. Parrots are a lifestyle not a piece of decor like a lamp or vase....
She says, typing with middle finger due to major parrot bites on others!

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Agree totally. But he can't get good info if he leaves in a huff. I know intentions are the best and I certainly don't have suggestions on how to do it better. If you're still here OP there is tons of good info on these boards. We were all unknowing bird owners at one time so don't take it personally.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know. I’ve asked in a previous situation like this if we could all refrain from chiming in with the same questions. But even that won’t help if they aren’t willing to listen to anything. And this time we all had slightly different things to say.

In this case I think he wanted to know about the bird... and we wanted to be sure the bird was getting a good home. He thinks that is none of our business. Aren’t we all in the business of caring for fids? We’re trying to help

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I'm sorry to see you go Ec0038. Be assured that the first priority for everyone on this forum is the welfare of captive parrots. We want to make sure you are prepared for the challenges that come with a large parrot, especially a bird with the dietary needs and sensitivities of an Eclectus. Unfortunately I and many of us here on AA have seen the results of someone who brings home a parrot and is unprepared to take on the challenge. We simply want to educate and help you make the best decision possible- for both you and the bird.

Milestone

Of course I have researched and studied about this parrot. and the "special diet", I don't think it's that special, same as healthy human need fruit and vegetables beside of carbs.

Regarding why I choose this breed and why I want to have it, its a personal choice and its same as asking "why you love this guy/girl and want to marry him/her?"

Looks like I can not gain any valuable info on this forums, and it became a waste for me to post the actual images of the bird.

Thank you guys for all those welcoming personal attack questions without having owned an eclectus before.

No you were not attacked. There are practically no grounds to say that. We could only go off of what your post revealed about you. It was friendly advice given for the sake of you and the bird. And of course it's your personal choice. When you post here you will get friendly advice not just what you want to hear. Same as on any other good forum you go to. In your 2nd post you revealed more about yourself but just to tell us off, instead of that you could have just kindly told more about yourself. We would love to have you here on AA and see more pictures of your birdy. ;)

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
There are SO many things I would REALLY like to say to questions asked about parrots and their uninformed carers like this one... but I wont! Same old rhetoric! Same old same old!