• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I Get Another Budgie?

SamRose

Checking out the neighborhood
I've had my budgie for a year now, and she used to like being held, but now she avoids it at all costs and flies around her cage to avoid my hand. I am thinking of getting another bird for two reasons:
1. I read that if she doesn't get a lot of human interaction, it is best if you get another budgie to keep them company.
2. If I keep them separate for a little while, and tame the new bird, maybe it will rub off on her? I don't know if that will work.
So my question is, will that work? Is that a good idea? And if so, what gender parakeet should I get to go with my little girl? Thank you so much in advance!

JayBudgiz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
I think it's a good idea to get another budgie. A male budgie will probably be best because in most experiences they are easier to tame and less likely to fight. My females are sassy and don't always get along with each other while my males are best friends with everyone. :D

That's just my experiences so they'll be different to others. Hopefully more experienced budgie owners will reply soon.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Yep getting her a partner is a great idea! Preferably a male partner since females tend to not get along well. After you quarantine the new bird for 30 days (right?) I would recommend introducing as soon as possible. Birds in pairs will be happier! Single budgies that don't get much human interaction isn't a good idea since they are flock birds.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with the others; your budgie would probably like a friend. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she used to like being held, but now she avoids it at all costs and flies around her cage to avoid my hand.
Some birds grow up and their likes/dislikes change.

Most birds seem to prefer to have a companion of their own species.