• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get an Indian Ringneck?

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
I've never owned a Indian Ringneck. This is 1 out of the other 3 birds I'm thinking about purchasing (Umbrella Cockatoo , African Grey, Amazon).
I would preferably want to get one as young as possible, mainly for the bird to grow up with the other parrots (I always introduce birds one at a time when I can get them to step up so I can control the interactions and so they feel safe). I know it's important to adopt a parrot, as I did with my Green Cheeked Conures and Pacific Parrotlets, but I would like to purchase a younger bird this time for the reasons above.
It would be in it's own cage (large and horizontal), have time to fly out of the cage and a constant routine worked around my apprenticeship for taming/training/quality time.
I feed all my birds a deit of seed, treats and veggies with some fruits.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump7:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you met any of these types of birds? I think one of the best ways to decide is actually meet some. What you like/dislike may surprise you. Are there any rescues near you where you can go and meet some birds?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with @sunnysmom. Try and meet some older IRN and see what you think. All baby birds are adorable and awesome, but older birds have the confidence to really be true to themselves. I think if you meet an older IRN it will give you a better idea of what they are like. All the adorable YouTube videos of them are only part of the story :)

IRN are not birds that are super cuddly. They are very social and wonderful birds, but not everyone likes having a more hands off bird. IRN also have very powerful beaks for their size. You need to consider the toy budget because you will be going through wooden chews like mad.

I personally really like Asiatic species. If you meet some and feel like you understand them and have a good connection, I totally support it. I am also trying to be a realist. IRN and Alex are some of the most common parrots I see at the rescue here. They are big beaks, strong willed and sometimes noisy... all while still wanting you and needing you all day. They are tough little birds with big hearts! I don't think I have ever had the same type of bond with a bird as I do with my Pi. BIG heart! Sure they can be cheeky, but they are something special. They are amazingly intelligent. Pi learns concepts and tricks very fast. :)