• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get an Amazon Parrot?

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
Hello! My friends wants an Amazon parrot, this will be the first parrot she owns and she has her eyes set on it.
Could anyone give me information about their temperament please and what it's like to have an Amazon parrot!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe your friend could join the Avenue and have a read of threads from members who share their homes with ´zons :)

Research is key before bringing home any animal companions.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello! My friends wants an Amazon parrot, this will be the first parrot she owns and she has her eyes set on it.
Could anyone give me information about their temperament please and what it's like to have an Amazon parrot!

Hi, what spieces of Amazon is your friend looking at? There are quite a few. Some are great, some take a bit of skill and knowledge as they can be not exactly what you may expect.
Amazon's are great birds, some spieces pack heavy hormones when the time rolls around, in which they can also pack a bit of aggression. Once you are in tune with this and have a good understanding of it, an amazon can be a great bird to have.
There a ton of info and owners of Amazon's on here that
Can help guide your friend.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes.

That said, get oe of the easier ones like an Orange Winged Amazon. Such lovely mellow little beeings :) BUT.. make no mistake! Their little body’s house huge ego’s. Be prepaired to do your homework and lose your heart to them :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This ain't about the parrot. This about your friend. What kind of skill level and experience does she have to handle and house one of the hot (as in difficult) 3 Amazon species of bird?

Having said that please adopt an adult bird already out there through no fault of its own. That is the right thing to do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This ain't about the parrot. This about your friend. What kind of skill level and experience does she have to handle and house one of the hot (as in difficult) 3 Amazon species of bird?

Having said that please adopt an adult bird already out there through no fault of its own. That is the right thing to do.
Yes, definitely please suggest to your friend adoption. I know our rescue has a number of 'zons up for adoption. And I rescue should help educate your friend and help figure out if an Amazon is the right bird for your friend. I hope your friend has done research on owning any parrot. It's very different from other pets and requires almost a lifestyle change. No candles, air freshners, Teflon pans, etc.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
20180822_102043.png This is Charlie a YNA we rescued. He was in a 5 by foot room with 15 other parrots. cages stacked on top of each other. We had to have one toe amputated because a macaw next to him pulled his foot thru his house. Blind in one eye because the hoarder beat him with a stick. Unfortunately we lost him but did give him 3 years of love. This picture is of him being outside in the sun for the first time in years. Seeing him happy like that was worth everything to me. There were 9 other Amazons with him. So many parrots in the same condition that he was. Please consider adopting.