• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get an African Grey?

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
I've never owned an African Grey. This is 1 out of the other 3 birds I'm thinking about purchasing (Umbrella Cockatoo , Indian Ringneck , Amazon).
I would preferably want to get one as young as possible, mainly for the bird to grow up with the other parrots (I always introduce birds one at a time when I can get them to step up so I can control the interactions and so they feel safe). I know it's important to adopt a parrot, as I did with my Green Cheeked Conures and Pacific Parrotlets, but I would like to purchase a younger bird this time for the reasons above.
It would be in it's own cage (large and horizontal), have time to fly out of the cage and a constant routine worked around my apprenticeship for taming/training/quality time.
I feed all my birds a deit of seed, treats and veggies with some fruits.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have had parakeets, love birds, cockatiels an one wild caught Amazon. Paco is my first grey and he is an adventure. I agree with Bert, easy on the seeds. As far as how Greys are with other birds? Maybe the group has more input as I have no experience in that area.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
LOL thank you @Teagan Hall He came with that name. I truly hope you do your research in regards to what type of parrot you want. Each species and personality are individual. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
@Snowghost don't worry lots of research is in progress! This won't be an immediate thing, I'll be waiting for the midde of next year where I'll have enough information and somewhere I can adopt/Rescue.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
That's good to hear. I think this group might have places you can adopt or rescue. The lady that gave me Paco realized she did not have the time a grey needs to have to be healthy, he was plucking. The poor thing was in a filthy cage, a nasty water bottle (brown water) and on a seed diet. She was working two jobs. Thank God she had enough sense to find him a home before he died. He does take more of my time then my Amazon did, however I enjoy every minute of it.