• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get a Ringneck???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Well I have 3 lovebirds and 2 budgies at the moment and have been debating larger parrots. The two different kinds of parrots I've had my eyes on are Indian Ringnecks and Pionus parrots. I've done my full research on Pionus parrots and so far they are at the top of my list but I really want to know more about Ringnecks and I want to know what they are like to live with and what kind of personalities they have? Would really love some input and stories from Ringneck owners. :)

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Well they are very independent. Chiquita is loud, very loud. They are excellent talkers. The one thing they need is A LOT of attention or they regress, every single day they need to come out. They can be difficult bird due to their independent nature. Chiquita is very bold and always in trouble, lol. You have to watch them like a hawk when they are out.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I’d be spending time with different IRNs for now, before you decide. People get one thinking they’re perfect, but they end up being not-so-perfect. Spending time with a few different Ringnecks allows you to get to know their personality, as well as their noise level, which is pretty high, they can get loud when they want.

Here
’s a few good articles to read through about IRNs:

Bringing Home Your New Ringneck

Indian Ringneck Bluffing (Juvenile Ringneck Biting)

Choosing A Cage

Feeding Your Indian Ringneck Or Asiatic Parrot

Indian Ringneck / Rose-Ringed Parakeet

Indian Ringnecks As Pets

I will say one last thing, and that’s: Ringnecks are not a "walk in the park", they’re cute, smart, silly and love-able, but IMO, people are too quick to jump in and get one without researching first.. I'm NOT saying you’re not doing your research before-hand because you obviously are, just that I know quite a few people that were unable to handle having one.

I guess I
’m lucky with Keiba, who’s an IRN, I got him when he was about 8-9 weeks old, and I finished hand-raising and hand-feeding as well as weaning him, so it helped with bonding much more, and he’s a pretty clingy IRN, though he has his days where he wants to be by himself (that’s where he likes to show he’s independent) and he’s not gone a day without being interacted with, he does however spend time in his cage (not too much), where he has to know that he can’t be out 24-7, he wishes he could be! I do try and socialize him as well, he’s great with my 12 year old brother, as well as my 14 year old brother, and my mum, and my mum’s boyfriend.. so they can be great if socialized too.

Last edited:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I dont regret my IRN Prudence at all, even though she isnt all that snuggly or affectionate. She does however express true love for me, is really funny and social and LOVES to play and picks up on training SUPER fast. My Pru doesnt make alot of noise either - only calls out in the morning when she's first uncovered cause she wants her AO Bird Bread breakfast, and on a few other occassions, but otherwise she is really great about playing by herself quietly in her cage when she needs to, or perching on our shoulders when we watch tv - she's a really good girl and I couldnt have asked for more :)

Last edited:

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I thought about getting an IRN before,but then I started to think about how head strong and curious my lovies are and wondered about having a major clash in personalities if I brought an IRN home. I'd definately love to add an IRN someday when I have a bigger place with a designated bird room. Hopefully someone who has both an IRN and smaller birds can give you some advice.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Pionus and Ringnecks are very different. It depends on what you want in a parrot. Neither are known for cuddliness but generally ring necks do not like being pet at all whereas pionus usually enjoy head scratches. Ringnecks can learn to talk very clearly whereas pionus are not known for their talking ability. Ringnecks can be nippy. Pionus will normally do a lot of warning before biting and are generally not nippy.
Ringnecks are normally pretty friendly and social with a lot of people whereas pionus tend to be one person birds and do not care for others. My pionus will actually fly at and attack my brothers and occasionally my dad.
Ringnecks can be noisy and their voices are very high pitched. Pionus are generally pretty quiet. My pionus Kei hardly ever screams but his screams are loud when he does scream.
I personally prefer pionus, but I am biased.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
PS- Plum-heads are awesome! They aren't as loud as an IRN and tend to get along better with smaller birds. Mine is really mellow and although he isn't a cuddle bug he does like to sit near me or on my shoulder and listen to me talk or play with toys and is very curious in everything I am doing. He's also super playful and loves any toy you offer and is a joy to watch =) If you haven't looked into a Plum-head before you should check them out!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I thought about getting an IRN before,but then I started to think about how head strong and curious my lovies are and wondered about having a major clash in personalities if I brought an IRN home. I'd definately love to add an IRN someday when I have a bigger place with a designated bird room. Hopefully someone who has both an IRN and smaller birds can give you some advice.
I do have Finch and Budgies, and Prudence seems curious in a friendly way but THEY are terrified of her! Ive never let them out together for fear that they would have little budgie heart attacks, LOL I think she brings out the prey/predator feeling in them, and I try not to let them see her for this reason - thier enclosure is on a different floor than hers.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Lol I'd be more worried my little terrors would start something! I absolutely love my Lovies but holy smokes they like to start trouble. I know they would have no problem getting in a fight with a larger bird if given the chance.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thats true, Lovies are the Jack Russel Terrier of the bird world - they suffer from some serious Small Man Syndrome, LOL

daydreams356

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erica
My IRN is still a baby, however he is super sweet, extremely smart, and does the silliest things. He has not been very loud, although yells a little in the morning... it is shrill but is a much more tolerable a sound to me then lovebirds for example. And he only does it a couple times and then does something else. Their other sounds are beyond adorable and their mean growl is the cutest sound on this planet. He is very affectionate... in his own way. I owned a cockatiel at one point that loved scratches and cuddles. This guy wants to be near me, snuggles in my hair, and lets me kiss him all over... however he still does not like me touching him with my hands and really unless he is tired, he does not sit still for long. Have a big cage with these guys with loads of things to do and destroy... and spend as much one on one time as you can with them so they are happy and do not regress in tameness. Anyway, I can't wait to spend many many many more years with my guy. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.