• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should i get a quaker for 6 month old BHC?

pyzio677

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Urszula
Hi, I have a male 6 month old BHC (hand reared) and want to get a quaker. i have two large cages but he's only fond of one. I know you can't exactly trust your birds, even though he doesn't display any agressive behaviour towards strangers or other animals. even if they don't get along, they can be seperated as i live in a two-story house (although he will accept the new bird). Could someone please show me some convincing points on why i should or shouldn't get the quaker? Thank you.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Lets see, a convincing reason not to have your quaker beaten to death by a caique?. Hmm lets see

They will be great friends until one day they disagree. Probably the caique's fault. Probably over food

The caique is much stronger and more aggressive than the quaker

You will come home ( like me) to find your darling quaker a bloody mess on the floor of the cage

Luckily my quaker Noodles, such a darling, personality by the bucketful, survived and was sent to a new home, where he lived happily ever after

NOT being beaten to a pulp by a caique.....................

pyzio677

Real Name
Urszula
Lets see, a convincing reason not to have your quaker beaten to death by a caique?. Hmm lets see

They will be great friends until one day they disagree. Probably the caique's fault. Probably over food

You will come home ( like me) to find your darling quaker a bloody mess on the floor of the cage

Luckily my quaker Noodles, such a darling, personality by the bucketful, survived and was sent to a new home, where he lived happily ever after

Yeah... that is one of the main reasons not to get one (and to not get another parrot at all, even caique), but i won't be keeping them in one cage. if they are together wherever will be monitored by at least one person. thank you so much for sharing this!

pyzio677

Real Name
Urszula
Hi, I have a male 6 month old BHC (hand reared) and want to get a quaker. i have two large cages but he's only fond of one. I know you can't exactly trust your birds, even though he doesn't display any agressive behaviour towards strangers or other animals. even if they don't get along, they can be seperated as i live in a two-story house (although he will accept the ne

i think i won't get the quaker after all. and even if i do because one of our family members really wants to, it will live on a seperate floor. a parrots wellbeing is most important though, so the best thing would be to keep things the way they are now.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I knew of a person who's caique, attacked and bit off a quaker leg. Then a second attack happened when the owner wasn't home and the quaker escaped their cage went to caique cage and received a crushed beak injury....

Ultimately re homed the caique as she had multiple parrots and it was aggressive to all. She worked at a vets office, and took in unwanted parrots. So it was an adult when joined her.

I really don't have experience with bhc.

Quakers I've had 4 , have 3 now and obviously love the species. All were taken in because unwanted, and behavior issues like screaming. While I've eliminated the non stop screaming, they enjoy making noise and being vocal. I'm constantly reinforcing the quieter vocals and whistle and words. Anyone who's been around feral flocks will note their constant noise