• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get a parrotlet

parrot_73

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor
Hi! I am interested in getting a parrotlet and I’ve done all my research. One thing I’m not quite sure about is how much attention do parrotlets need?

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
I personally haven't had a parrotlet but I have heard they are like big parrots in small bodies. @Hermesbird @finchly @Ali

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Yes they are, And they do have a big personality to boot lol they have a good bite to them also but are oh so sweet once they are tamed and trained like bigger parrots you see, it also all depends on their personalities and if they are hand reared or parent reared just like the big parrots.

parrot_73

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor
Yes they are, And they do have a big personality to boot lol they have a good bite to them also but are oh so sweet once they are tamed and trained like bigger parrots you see, it also all depends on their personalities and if they are hand reared or parent reared just like the big parrots.
If they have been hand reared how much time should I spend with him or her daily?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Taylor! 1.welcome signs.gif

One thing I’m not quite sure about is how much attention do parrotlets need?
A single bird will need time out of their cage in the morning and at night. A good 4-5 hours minimum.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
They say 4 hrs as long as they are kept busy in their cage, I work from home so she’s out for 3-8 hrs depending if I have to step away or go out for anything. Like all birds the more out of cage time the better for their personally. And you do have to handle and train daily or they revert back to little wild parrots

parrot_73

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor
They say 4 hrs as long as they are kept busy in their cage, I work from home so she’s out for 3-8 hrs depending if I have to step away or go out for anything. Like all birds the more out of cage time the better for their personally. And you do have to handle and train daily or they revert back to little wild parrots
Do you spend the whole 4hrs one on one or does that include them flying around while being supervised?

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
You have to be careful with a bonded pair, just because they are bonded doesn't mean that later on down the road they cant get into a bad fight. They are know for being territorial and can potentially kill each other. so its best most of the time to either keep as a single bird or have 2 cages

I spend the time training and letting her get her exercise with trying to recall train and also letting her explore while supervised. they are tiny and most scrum to their early deaths because accidents happen since they are so small

parrot_73

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor
You have to be careful with a bonded pair, just because they are bonded doesn't mean that later on down the road they cant get into a bad fight. They are know for being territorial and can potentially kill each other. so its best most of the time to either keep as a single bird or have 2 cages

I spend the time training and letting her get her exercise with trying to recall train and also letting her explore while supervised. they are tiny and most scrum to their early deaths because accidents happen since they are so small
Thank you so much for everything!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Your welcome, If you want more info on parrotlets they have a website dedicated to them, its talk parrotlets

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am just going to add on to the discussion. If you keep a single bird you will be their only social outlet, so of course you need to spend time with them. It is important to understand that this time doesn't mean 100% physical contact. It should be a mix of direct interaction and indirect interaction. You want to empower your bird to find interest in their play areas. You must provide intellectually stimulating activities such as foraging. You can read a book or work at your computer and your bird will explore, forage and play. Your bond is being busy and doing things as a flock. This is healthy interaction. Your bird will be an independent, confidant adult animal. Physical touch is only a tiny part of interacting with your bird.

In terms of keeping more than one parrotlet I would be cautious. As already mentioned, they can kill each other. Parrotlets swap mates in the wild and you have NO guarantee things will always work. You need to have a large cage for each parrotlet. If you have the space for multiple large cages I support getting two, but if you don't have the space don't risk it. I will tell you my personal experience. My parrotlets fight intensely. They each have their own flight cage and cannot be out together. My partner and I worked out a system for the two of them, but it is a fragile business. My bolder parrotlet has bitten, dislocated toes and shredded feathers on the other parrotlet.. and this was in the common play area. Sometimes parrotlets can get on great, but they are very territorial and they can't help themselves. That said I love my feisty little parrotlets. They are very affectionate to their person and wonderful fliers. :) I hope my experience helps you decide.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I fostered a parrotlet. He was adorable. One thing I wasn't prepared for was how fast he was. And because he was so tiny I would be afraid to move until I spotted him. I think you need a super safe environment and maybe some type of recall training with a parrotlet.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Yes recall training is a must. They are fast and stubborn lil birds. One day last week my mother in law came over to pick up something and I left the room for a min and she flew out and ran down the hall. Only reason I knew she was there cause I heard her tweeting and calmly said no one move. I got so scared she was right behind my father in laws foot. One wrong step and I would of lost her. Now I always lock her up when I have to walk away. I felt so guilty

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is a serious concern! They can be so bold about running around on the ground too. They do not accept that they weigh 30gs. I am glad she was ok.

I read a few horrible stories over the years of them getting sat on, smashed by books or crushed by doors... all the were pure accidents. Their owners were heart broken. They really are tiny fierce little birds, who scream out to the world, but behind their mask they are fragile, delicate birds.