• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get a cheap air purifier?

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
I’m wondering the difference between a cheap air purifier like this one: GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter, UV-C Sanitizer, Captures Allergens, Smoke, Odors, Mold, Dust, Germs, Pets, Smokers, 22-Inch Germ Guardian Air Purifier: Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care
and one of the 800$ ones. I’m sure there is a big difference, but is it worth $800? Or on the other hand would the $140 air purifier just be a waste of money? Just have 2 pyrrhura conures but I want to add more birds over time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use a cheaper TrueHEPA for my house because Jingo gets sneezy otherwise. Obviously the more expensive units have features that probably command that price, but I cannot personally spend that.

I don't know what species you are looking at for the future, but $80 or $800, a purifier won't keep cockatoo, grey, or cockatiel dust out of a macaw or conure respiratory system. Sadly someone on this forum found that out :(

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Nearly all of the species I’m thinking of are new world (parrotlets, caique, conures, macaws), that means they are ok together right? Then also on my list are IRN(s), are they dusty? Will non dusty vs dusty always need to live in a separate room? I imagine 1 cockatiel would not have as much of an impact at 3 cockatoos for example

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
New world should be fine together. Obviously 1 cockatiel can't compete with 3 cockatoos but I personally would not own a dusty species while I had new world bird in the house. You never know how much is too much until it's too late. They go downhill very quickly with little warning signs.

I don't believe IRN are considered dusty.