• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I cover my finches?

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Hey Everyone!

When I first got Will and Arlo I didn’t cover their cage at night because my friend with budgies said they can get night terrors if you cover them the first night. So I decided to wait till they were settled in. I have had them for a while now, (over a month I believe) and I still don’t cover them because they are not in my room, and due to being finches they are super anxious around anything new. Should I cover them? I know finches aren’t parrots so that’s part of why I’m asking if it’s needed.

Thanks guys! I really enjoy AA and it’s been a blast meeting everyone. I’m still very new, so I can’t wait to really be a part of this amazing group of crazy bird parents.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I don't think it matters that much. If they're in a quiet and dark room at night it should be fine. I wanted to add that Sleep is very important in birds. @Quailer2 Do you cover your finches?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I don't think it matters that much. If they're in a quiet and dark room at night it should be fine. I wanted to add that Sleep is very important in birds. @Quailer2 Do you cover your finches?
Personally, I do cover my finches because I think it helps the finches sleep. Plus, you can also cover your finches to help them deal with stress on the way to the vet.

Jogging around the block
As said above, it certainly helps with stressful situations like travelling/going to the vet.
If the room they are in is quiet at night and the lights are turned off at timeframes that allow the finches to get a healthy amount of uninterrupted sleep, it doesn't really matter.
If the lights are still on at night or the room they are kept in still has people running around it night, I would recommend them to be covered so they get a healthy amount of sleep.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
What @Screech said :) if they are in a livingroom, where there is a tv and/or lights that stay on late, then i would cover them. I have noticed there are a LOT of people who have canary’s in a cage that dont cover them at night, and they can get very old. But i don’t think its really healthy for the birds perse.

Peepers

Strolling the yard
I cover my Java finch every night. When she sees me with the cover, she immediately goes to her usual sleeping spot. :xflove: (I should add that my husband works rotating shifts, so the lights will be turned on at odd times in the middle of the night.)