• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

should I clip my rainbow lorikeets wings?

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
20210913_172310.png minky.png.png
hello! I have a baby rainbow lorikeet named Minky (about 2 months old, images above is him) and he has just started to fly. I also have 2 dogs so I was wondering if I should clip his wings? he's out of his cage/tub for about 7-9 hours a day (he stays in a tub with an open lid at night because he couldnt fly before but now he can, will be getting a sleep cage soon) and I'm worried that he might fly into mirrors that are adhered to the wall. he's already flown dangerously close to one but landed safely. I wanted to keep his wings unclipped because obviously he should be allowed to fly, and just in case he somehow escapes his cage or a dog gets into the room he's in he can fly away from the dog/s. also, any advice for super sharp nails? my arms are all scratched and cut up from him hahaha :p its not a big deal but it just doesnt look super appealing lol.
sorry if this is ramble-y sounding! my meds still need to kick in :p haha

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! I wouldn't clip a bird's wings. It's unjust. Keep the dogs out the bird's room.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Even full flighted birds can't escape a dog in a house.
You will need to find a way to ensure the dogs do not gain access to his area, especially when not home.
As for clipping wings, it's not a good idea, and you'll learn almost everyone here on AA agrees.
Parrot safe the room. Cover, remove, or place decals on the mirrors so crashes don't happen.
Same with windows. Never use ceiling fans with birds. Many have died after being struck.
Allow him to learn flight, you will see missed landings and some crashes. Try and give him areas to land easily on.

As for those nails. Slowly get him used to a file. A plain old nail file should work fine.
Sit him in your lap if possible and make it a pleasant relaxing time.
File slowly and gently. File a little at a time, stop if baby stresses. Try again in a short time.
It's a good thing to start now while a baby.

He's a cutie!

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Welcome! I wouldn't clip a bird's wings. It's unjust. Keep the dogs out the bird's room.
thank you for your input! its just because I had a close call when my dog somehow got into the birds room even though the door was fully shut, he wasnt able to fly yet but he hid away thank god. I would just hate for one of my younger brothers to take him out and have a window open and then he's just gone :(

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Even full flighted birds can't escape a dog in a house.
You will need to find a way to ensure the dogs do not gain access to his area, especially when not home.
As for clipping wings, it's not a good idea, and you'll learn almost everyone here on AA agrees.
Parrot safe the room. Cover, remove, or place decals on the mirrors so crashes don't happen.
Same with windows. Never use ceiling fans with birds. Many have died after being struck.
Allow him to learn flight, you will see missed landings and some crashes. Try and give him areas to land easily on.

As for those nails. Slowly get him used to a file. A plain old nail file should work fine.
Sit him in your lap if possible and make it a pleasant relaxing time.
File slowly and gently. File a little at a time, stop if baby stresses. Try again in a short time.
It's a good thing to start now while a baby.

He's a cutie!
thank you for your input :) our windows arent transparent 47d3c4dad2dccd2484238f712968826b.jpg they look like this minus the blue. would he still try to fly into it? dont have ceiling fans so that shouldnt be an issue. will a few stickers on the mirrors that I cant take away work? the filing idea is a good one, clipping is a bit scary for me so I would much prefer filing

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
if your dogs get in there again would you rather a flightless bird who can’t fly away if they try and eat her? or a bird that can fly and save itself, birds bump into things when they learn its part of babies!! just like humans :p its just how the learning process works. birds respiratory system relies on their ability to fly, their happiness is improved with flight too! birds natural ability of flight shouldn’t be taken because we (the people that decide to keep them) feel it isn’t convenient for us. adapt bird proof and keep the dogs away to the best of your ability, imo clipping does nothing but hurt the bird. but hey it’s just my opinion! :p

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
thank you for your input :) our windows arent transparent View attachment 392850 they look like this minus the blue. would he still try to fly into it? dont have ceiling fans so that shouldnt be an issue. will a few stickers on the mirrors that I cant take away work? the filing idea is a good one, clipping is a bit scary for me so I would much prefer filing
Frosted windows they can't see through are safer than ones they can. If they can see through them, they don't understand they can't get to what they see. Stickers on mirrors help, hanging threads of beads, shear curtains you can draw closed, anything that obscures the view that makes them think it's an area to fly to. Showing them the mirror up close also helps them to understand it's solid, but as said, many birds still hit these things when startled.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Frosted windows they can't see through are safer than ones they can. If they can see through them, they don't understand they can't get to what they see. Stickers on mirrors help, hanging threads of beads, shear curtains you can draw closed, anything that obscures the view that makes them think it's an area to fly to. Showing them the mirror up close also helps them to understand it's solid, but as said, many birds still hit these things when startled.
this are great ideas thank you! my mum doesn't wanna move the big mirror because its been part of the house for a while so I suppose I could decorate it or even just cover it up while my lil guy is out

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Welcome to the Avenue! View attachment 392881

thank you for this:) I think ill just leave his wings be. I'll get him a flight leash so he can fly outside as well :o: and thank you for the welcome :D