• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I clip my birds wings?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you reorganizing all our tumbtack links?

Thank you Miss Zara for being you! :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Should I clip my birds wings?
A crude analogy but gets the point: Only if I can chop you off at the knee caps. You won’t be crippled. You can still crawl to get around.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Flight is absolutely critical ! I hope these resources get out there and one more birds gets to keep their wings!

The confidence it gives, the health benefits and the chance to express natural behaviour all improve our birds life. No question! Also ..for me, when a bird chooses to fly and land on me, chooses to hang out near me... that feeling is priceless. Give your bird that power of choice!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A crude analogy but gets the point: Only if I can chop you off at the knee caps. You won’t be crippled. You can still crawl to get around.
Yes, John we ALL know your not a fan of clipping... For good reason might I add!!!

I've seen what 25 years of no flight have done to Buddy's eyes & the plaque deposits that are causing his sight to fail. I'll see if I can figure out how to get my flash off on my phone to give you a detailed pic.

The new (wonderful) vet says between the all seed diet & NO FLIGHT, it's obvious that there is plaque in his arteries, we just don't currently know how much. If we got an Xray we may know more but the vet says the risk is there to do this because he's got to have an anesthesia nap.

That Xray will not change what he needs...

A proper balanced dietary change & re-teaching him to fly which I've done w/ only AA's help. Thank goodness for all you smarty pants people! :heart2: Now it's just a matter of getting him to fly more. There's probably some stuff in my alerts, regarding this, I'm just behind.

Going to go check my flash but I agree w/ Johns crawling analogy, your handicapping a birds flight which he or she should by design do (ALL) day. There is a very rare occasion where a bird should be clipped. When I say rare, I think 1 or 2 times of being on AA after finding out the extent of harm the lack of flight has done to Buddy.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, I got a few good ones & 20 bad ones.

Here you can see why he's literally got dead spots in his vision. He looks like he's in distress he's not he's toweled. He's gently holding my finger or I'm gently holding his beak. 20200131_195104.jpg 20200131_195117.jpg 20200131_195119.jpg 20200131_195121.jpg

This is his other eye, he wouldn't stay still for this one but you can see that the pupil isn't round but jagged on the edges. Plaque under the lense of the eye is causing the jaggedness. 20200131_195200.jpg

Danny64

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I don't clip my birds' wings for fear of them crashing and burning. I live in a house where they can jump from the couch and land on the floor below.

Danny

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I still quote you: "you don't handicap your bird to make it easier for you to manage." something to that effect!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I don't clip my birds' wings for fear of them crashing and burning. I live in a house where they can jump from the couch and land on the floor below.

Danny
That's another important factor. I recall a user's bird crashing to the floor and breaking its keel. Very sad.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
That's another important factor. I recall a user's bird crashing to the floor and breaking its keel. Very sad.
Oh wow :( It is stories like this that people need to be aware of when considering clipping.

Thanks Zara for posting all this info together... I wish so much that I knew all of this before I got mine. Even though both of their flights have since grown back... I still hate myself a little for not being educated enough when I got them. Both the pet store and breeder were “pro clipping” and I just assumed they were the experts, so it must be the right thing to do.