• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should birds be allowed on shoulders?

Do you think parrots should be allowed on the shoulder?

• Total voters

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
First off, Merry Christmas! I hope everyone is having a safe a happy holiday season!

I would like to hear opinions and the reason for your opinion regarding allowing parrots on your shoulder. I'm sure this opinion may change based on the size of the bird and other factors. I am asking because I have heard contradicting information and I have not made up my mind on it. I am planning to bring home a GCC in the next month or so and I am undecided if I should allow the bird on my shoulder. I really want to!! But I have hear people say that it can be dangerous for the human? The dangers listed where bites to the face and the affect of screaming on hearing. I can see where a bite to the face could happen at no fault of the bird if they get spooked or honestly a bunch of other reasons. The affect on hearing due to a small parrot making a loud noise...I have no clue. Lovebug, my lovebird does not spend hardly anytime perched on me (it's not her thing) but she has screamed while on my shoulder and it did hurt my ear at the time so I guess if it was a bird the liked to vocalize loudly a lot of the time I don't think I could have them on my shoulder. I am wondering if this kind of loud screech could cause hearing loss over time if it was a constant occurrence? I guess in general I am picturing a LARGE or medium size parrot as being one that should be more concerned about being on the shoulder? I would love to hear everyone's view point on this.

For those who don't feel like expanding on their opinion and have added the poll although it would be cool if everyone utilized the poll too, it would be cool to see a quick snap shot! Do as you wish ;)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn’t know how this would fit into your poll, but I think it depends on the bird. What is probably not good, is a bird who rushes your shoulder and you have to ‘scrape off’. I think if there is a good relationship with the bird, and the bird has been trained that the shoulder is a privilege and up to the human, then I have no problem with it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird needs to be very predictable, trustworthy and step up every time without hassle for it to be allowed on your shoulder.
It is hard to remove a bird from your shoulder if it doesn’t want to be removed. You have issues with biting to the face, neck and ears which are easy to do damage to for most birds, there are issues with hearing but also, there are issues with control if your bird is the type who shouldn’t be up there.
I do take the chance with Burt because I can’t hold him long on my hand or arm before it’s a serious problem for me so he’s allowed on my shoulder at times so we can still hang out close together. He comes off the shoulder every single time I ask and he comes off the very first time I ask even if he doesn’t want to... if he didn’t I wouldn’t allow him up there.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
in my opinion, it depends on the bird. birdy is allowed on my shoulder, while salem isn’t.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say yes unless it was an untrustworthy bird that would tear your face off. :) The hearing issues are pretty negligible with smaller birds.

Sometimes the lovebirds like to play try-to-reach-the-birdy-on-the-shoulder-blade when they don’t want to go back, but that’s not cause to revoke shoulder privileges. ;)

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Definitely depends on the bird and how willing they are to come back DOWN. Doesn't matter at all to me if a bird is unlikely to bite, if they pull any dodging shenanigans and don't immediately step up the first time I ask while they're on my shoulder - that's it. No more shoulders.

Zyda and Marii are both allowed on my shoulder, though with Marii it's provisional that he can only be there if I'm wearing headphones so he can't reach my ears or eyes. I learned the hard way how much damage that beak of his can do.

Cereal isn't interested, and Rowan has a lifetime ban. :bignono:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Twinkie wants to know who thinks they can tell him he is “not allowed” on the shoulder and that it’s a “privilege” for him - privilege for the human his lovie self alights upon, he says (from his mama’s shoulder)! :D

0E180147-F096-49C7-BE92-269D500DBA26.jpeg

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Lots of good comments! All really good advice and added points to consider. You all rock :D

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Twinkie wants to know who thinks they can tell him he is “not allowed” on the shoulder and that it’s a “privilege” for him - privilege for the human his lovie self alights upon, he says (from his mama’s shoulder)! :D

View attachment 367195
Look at the cute pile of fluff! How can anyone say no so something so sweet!!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be flattered if my budgies trusted me enough to land on my shoulders, but might be intimidated by their beaks. I think it depends on both bird & human.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be flattered if my budgies trusted me enough to land on my shoulders, but might be intimidated by their beaks. I think it depends on both bird & human.
They might get there! My male lovebirds scrabble around on my head and groom/nibble my face all the time. They will land pretty much anywhere on me. I trust them (and one girl, Neutrino) completely. The other girls...NOPE. :roflmao:

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
As others have said I think it really depends on the bird in question. I let my three budgies and my cockatiel sit on my shoulders because I trust them and they never give me any issues stepping up to get off. My Green Cheek Conures on the other hand will not get anywhere near sitting on my shoulder anytime soon, or possibly ever as they would take that opportunity to bite. I would prefer to keep my ears intact :laugh:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
As others have said I think it really depends on the bird in question. I let my three budgies and my cockatiel sit on my shoulders because I trust them and they never give me any issues stepping up to get off. My Green Cheek Conures on the other hand will not get anywhere near sitting on my shoulder anytime soon, or possibly ever as they would take that opportunity to bite. I would prefer to keep my ears intact :laugh:
I see the trend with people saying the bird needs to come off the shoulder without hesitation and also the bird needs to be one the can be trusted not to bite. All this makes really good sense! I kept forgetting about the fact that I need the bird to come off the shoulder easily and I now remember that many people have commented how their birds give them some trouble about it. I’m glad I finally posted about this topic :D

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leia has shoulder privileges :) She's really good about coming off and has never once offered to bite or nip while up there. It also gives her the opportunity to visit different parts of the flat that she's not allowed to go to without supervision. Nothing like pooping with a parrot on your shoulder...

It really does depend on the bird. Remember that it has to be safe and enjoyable for everyone involved.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I agree with all let the messages above. It depend on your bird, and wether or not it is predictable.