• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Shorter nails than before?

Luecilyee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alia
Hi!
Recently, my female budgie(Skye) has been acting strange, this type of behavior started yesterday night. She's been puffing up a lot so I thought it would be the cold temperatures, I moved her to a different room which is warmer than the one before. Later on, she's been sleeping a lot and seems to have lost motivation to move around the cage.

My sister informed me that she has a limping foot and it was quite concerning for me. I gave a small check up on her foot(The right foot), and I saw that her back nail is completely gone, her other nails are shorter than they were before. We have not trimmed them but it seems like they were chipped off but I'm not sure if that could be the cause of her ill behavior. I'm still very new to whole experience of having a pet bird so I'm not exactly sure what seems to be the problem.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I does sound like she somehow hurt her foot. She could be puffed up because she's in pain but she also could be sick. Either way, I would have her looked at by a vet.

@Ripshod ?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If she's lost a nail completely then she will be in quite some pain, which would explain her behaviour. I agree that she should see a vet.

*edit*

You also need to work out how this happened to prevent it happening again. She may have got her foot trapped in a toy, rope perch, anywhere really.

Last edited: