• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shooting the moon - settings

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Taking photos of the moon can be tricky. Many people underestimate just how bright the moon is. It is a reflection of the sun. Here is a method I use to get perfectly exposed shots every time.

The key to this is an aperture of f/11. Once your lens is set to f/11, all you do is match your ISO and your shutter speed. If your ISO is 200, you use a shutter speed of 1/200th. If you use a shutter speed of 1/400th, your ISO must be at 400, etc. If you shoot at a different aperture, it will not balance, and you will have to juggle ISO and shutter speed to get the proper exposure.

Examples...

This shot was taken at f/11, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/100th.

This shot was f/11, ISO 200, shutter speed 1/200th

And this shot was f/11, ISO 400, shutter speed 1/400th

It is not dependent on the camera. The above photos were taken with my Canon 80D. The below photo was taken with my wife's Canon Rebel T5

It was shot at f/11, ISO 200, shutter speed 1/200th

[/url]

Notice the brightness is equal in all of them.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dan the full"worm moon" is on the 28th,,,I expect photos mister,,Haha. .:roflmao::roflmao:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those are just beautiful!!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Very useful info, Thanks. I remember being thrilled when I got some really good lightning shots hand holding my rebel digital XT in the garage doorway with super long exposure times and a pillow. They were so fast and bright, and it was so dark they looked really good.