• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shipping birds?

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place!
Secondly, has anyone had birds shipped to them? I know it's always preferable to go and meet the bird in person and pick it up yourself and let the bird choose you and whatnot, but as far as I can tell, there are no Jardine's breeders within a 200 mile radius of me! (the closest one, based on my research, is just over 700 miles away by car in Loveland, Colorado, but I don't really feel like traveling 11-odd hours just for a visit!)
I feel like shipping could be an option (by plane only, of course), but was wondering how you guys feel about it.
Is it bad? Good? Somewhere in between?
Do I have to drive 11 hours to Loveland, Colorado? :scared2:

Did any of your birds arrive by plane?:airplane:

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would also like to add that I am totally up for adopting, but there don't seem to be many ads out there for Jardine's...
I'm kind limited to the internet for sources, unfortunately!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Dusky conure was shipped from Virginia to California on Delta and things worked out well although I was nervous while waiting for him to arrive.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Delta and United are about the only airlines that will ship birds. Do either of these airlines fly to a large city near you? If not, you might have to take a road trip yourself.

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We have a small airport about 20 miles away, but it's VERY small.
I'm worried about the size of the plane effecting the quality of the care the bird receives...

My first choice would probably be Boise airport. That's pretty much the only major hub for travel anywhere in Idaho, and it's only about three hours away by car.
I guess I could make it to Salt Lake if I had to, but that's kind of a pain...

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My cinnamon conure was flown from CA to RI by United airlines. No problems and was a good experience. I was happy to meet him! It's been a year :)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella flew Delta from VA to Pittsburgh PA without any problems. I would discuss with the breeder about shipping though. I got Bella in March and it was cold so I paid for a cabin ticket so she didn't have to be in the cargo hold. The ticket actually cost more than Bella did. Maybe that is why she thinks she is a Princess.

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
I'm glad to hear it's not frowned upon!
Wasn't looking forward to that potentially VERY long road trip! :wacky:

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh, by the way, how do you meet the bird in the airport?
Just curious.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I had a Fischer's Love Bird shipped from FL to WA State on United with no issues!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Charlie was a few hours driving away, so I went and picked him up in person.

Jayde however was flown in from Ohio to Nevada, and I met her at the cargo area. (where people pick up their luggage - each airline had their own office for lost and found luggage and pet pick-up or drop-off)

If you do not have a very large airport, they might not ship animals to your location. If they don't, you may have to go to a major hub airport.

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I picked up Bogart in the baggage claim area, there was a small room off to the side. Airport in Providence is small for a city. I whistled at him and fell in love! Lol

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I had looked into shipping. A certificate from a vet is needed (reason I couldn't ship). Also finding flights without connections is key from what I understand. And not flying in winter where bird could be on tarmac too long if there is a connection is key from what I hear.

Great to hear everyone on this thread had great experiences. There are other threads on AA on this topic with more shipping experiences - negative and positive - just so you are fully informed.

If I were to ever get another bird I would ship but I would avoid connections, etc.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Delta only has non stop flights going to Salt Lake City, none to Boise and United has non stops to both. You want to talk to the airline at THAT particular airport and they will tell you exactly where to go and how to get there for the pickup.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jaden actually had a stopover on his way to CA. He flew the first leg with his brother and then they separated with one going to one CA airport and Jaden going to another. I picked him up in the cargo area.

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Whew!
Glad that it's turned out well for so many of you!
I was dreading the drive, but would have made it if it meant the safety of the bird.
Don't want to start off on the wrong foot, after all!