• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shipping a bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
Wasn't sure where to post this question. I'm shipping a bird to my cousin in another state. Which airline is best? I've used Delta Dash in the past, but I don't like that they have to go through Atlanta. Roxy missed her plane in Atlanta with Delta and I wasn't very happy about that.
Thanks!

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
Kai was flown to me via Continental, I believe. Reason being they have a climate controlled cabin and it was January. :) I'll double check later, though. If you can, try and find a flight without stops. I don't know anything about Delta and pets, sorry!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
its been almost 2 years since I had a bird shipped - but I think the breeder used Delta Pets - and they'd only ship if the temp was not above or below a certain temperature which i can't remember what it was now but we got them shipped in July

but we had no problems at all got 2 Quakers Shipped from S. Carolina to Indiana on a Sunday they were shipped early morning and were at our house(we live a little over 1 hr from the airport) around 5pm

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Some friends of ours used Delta Pets also and had no problems even with a connecting flight

geekasaurus

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chrissy
i've used delta several times and haven't had any problems, anything negative i have heard about them is just anomalous and not indicative of their service in general.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I have used Delta and Continental one time each.
Lucky both times - thankfully.

I believe Continental worked better in my case but that was more because of the staff I dealt with.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Kiwi was shipped to us via Continental. It was my choice because the Delta flights all had to go through Atlanta. It was crazy--from California, to Atlanta, and back to Texas! That made no sense to me to put Kiwi through that stress. Continental does cost more, and all of their flights are climate controlled whereas not all of Delta's flight are. We had a GREAT experience with Continental. Even the guys at the cargo pick up area were great. We really enjoyed talking to them!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I havent had a need to ship in a long time either. But when I have, Delta and Continental have both been great. Cassius flew with Continental. The people on staff there were great and of course totally fascinated with a bird being there :lol:

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Missy came in on Delta. A close friends 2 parrotlets also came in on Delta. I was very pleased with everything they did with Missy and his 2 parrotlets. If I may make a few suggestions based on my experience they would be :

1. Label : In HUGE letters Type Show / exhibit parrot on the lable . Ex. Missy is a parrotlet. We Typed Show Parrotlet on the lable to ensure she got extra attention. A delta pet first agent told me to do this. They pay extra attention to the show / exhibit animals . Pets are important to them but she said show animals are viewed at having a higher net worth.

2. Plans Inside : Place a copy of the flight plans for the parrot inside the carrier as well as on the outside of the carrier. If for what ever reason they lose the outside fligth plans. There is a back up copy inside.

Include your cell , address, and all contact information for both parties inside the carrier . Also, reference numbers and where the pet is going. All the information .

3. Light: To ensure the avian has extra light. Place a glow stick inside the carrier and a small flash light. They do need it inside the carrier. If I could go back and redo Missy's flight: I'd ask the sender to place a glow stick inside the carrier for extra light.

Hope this helps a little.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I used both Delta and Continental and both were great. They don't do layovers unless absolutely necessary. Both had cabin controlled temps that were always monitored. many airlines wont do animals because they have no cargo temp-controlled area.

The airline should explain exactly what is needed to be written on the outside of the carrier and type of carrier that is approved by them. Put extra food in a zip lock bag attached to top of carrier. Medical records stating the bird is fit for flight is also a necessity and should be attached to top of carrier (there was a little compartment on the top of the carrier I used and I put the info in a sealed plastic bag in there and on top of the compartment I wrote' Medical Records Inside with an arrow).

Edit:
If possible get your bird used to eating cubed apples with a touch of lemon for preservative to use instead of water (or use applesauce). Less spillage than water. Tear up newspaper strips to use for bottom of carrier instead of sheets of newspaper. Bird may pull up part of newspaper sheet and get stuck underneath. Hang small favorite toy to inside of carrier for comfort. Same toy should then be hung in new cage when arrived at new home for comfort the first couple of days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.