• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures She's very pleased

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So, Aldora has had a very eggciting morning....

IMG_20190423_180354.jpg

She is now very content sitting in my tapas dish.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So cute... thank you for posting!

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
Aww, she’s a Beauty. :angelic:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She´s an incredibly beautiful bird.

Here´s some clips of today + some eggy info, some novices may find this useful.

You can clearly see how she looks (egg ready to come out) , you can also see the laboured breathing signaling that the egg is on the way. Her front, below her belly is sucked in, she has a hunch like posture. Fluffing up frequently, and in general looking more fluffy.
If your bird is like this for a long time she needs to go to the vet. Aldora layed the egg within an hour of this.

Also, I put down the little dish with some wood shavings, and a piece of paper to shred to encourage her to lay - I´m sure newbies to birds will think ¨what? I thought we are meant to discourage?¨ Correct, but when you can see she has an egg, it needs to come out. Plus, discouraging egg laying is ok, but there will be a point were a hen will lay, it is only natural.
My hen will guard those eggs with her life, she knows what the score is, she´s done it all before, so she gets fake eggs. If it is a hens first clutch, especially a lone, friendly hen, you may be ok just removing the egg and not replacing it at all. Each bird is different, you will have to see how your bird responds.

Also, my last point is, regardless of what you will do with the egg, it is a good idea to inspect it. Any abnormalities can be a sign of calcium deficiency.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Great videos and photos! Thank you for sharing so much! Ah... she is a beauty!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
On a separate topic when I had a male cockatiel, he would try and sit on grapes:cautious:
:lol:awww That makes nesting sound cute! :hilarious:

I hope I dont have to go through this with Loki for another year or two
It will be interesting to see how she handles it :) I personally don´t think she will get aggressive over it as she has such a tight relationship with you, but who knows...

Thank you for sharing so much!
Handy to have in the forum, maybe someone thinks they have a male but they see the bird in the same condition, or someone with a hen who hasn´t experienced eggs yet :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Wow she is beautiful! Good to see what that looks like too. I have probably an unrealistic fear of egg binding, my lovie is my baby girl :heart: worrying is part of that love...thanks for all the great information!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:lol:awww That makes nesting sound cute! :hilarious:

It will be interesting to see how she handles it :) I personally don´t think she will get aggressive over it as she has such a tight relationship with you, but who knows...

Handy to have in the forum, maybe someone thinks they have a male but they see the bird in the same condition, or someone with a hen who hasn´t experienced eggs yet :)
Egg-Zactly! Good thinking!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for sharing! I have a young hen pionus so this is really useful infrormation for the future (although I hope she doesn't lay eggs)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I hope so, but I could see her being a little sassy with me. When Lily was around, she was the sweetest sun conure even when she was sitting on eggs.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have probably an unrealistic fear of egg binding
It is important to be aware, to research and to not panic. Don´t fear it, just be educated and pay close attention to your hen. Regular checking of her vent is good.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Omg she is adorable with her egg in the tapas dish!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Wow she is beautiful! Good to see what that looks like too. I have probably an unrealistic fear of egg binding, my lovie is my baby girl :heart: worrying is part of that love...thanks for all the great information!
I'm the same way! This is my first female bird and I've heard so many horror stories.