• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She's petting him all over...

macawww

Hit the Road
So I'm currently joint fostering a sulphur crested cockatoo for the bird sanctuary I volunteer at. Today I handed over the bird to the other caretaker (we've been taking turns) and I told the organisation I could no longer care for him because of concerns about my b&g macaw and respiratory issues which I only learned through members here. They told me there was no such thing and cockatoo dust is safe as long as I take precautions with an air filter and good ventilation... I don't want to risk it with everything I've read here frankly and I'm shocked they could be so uninformed, but I digress.

I handed the bird over and this woman pets him all over like a cat. I'm dead serious. I told her not to do it and sent her some articles I've seen on here (preventing the pair bond, sex and the psittacinae) and she said that was nonsense and she's always pet all her cockatoos (she has a U2 at the moment as well who she got as a baby from a breeder and is about 10yo) and has never had any problems

I'm honestly at a loss for words....

Should I tell the shelter that she may be an inappropriate caregiver? I don't WANT to do that but I'm really worried that if this behaviour causes issues it'll make the bird impossible to be eventually adopted with a permanent family.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I wouldn’t phrase it that she’s an inappropriate care giver, but I’d share the articles with them - however, if they’ve blown off your concerns regarding dust and the lung issues it can cause, I don’t know how much good it will be.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they can't be bothered to take dust issues seriously, I highly doubt they will take this seriously.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Given their response to a serious matter which is deadly I very much doubt that they will care about a sexual (sorry lost for how to put this) matter.

I personally would keep quiet and find a better shelter doing things the right way or at least open to taking deadly matters serious to support, they sound like birds need rescuing from them! - I am not saying this is what you should do, I am saying it is what I would have to do if I was in that situation.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Whenever I hear, "we've always done it this way", or, "it's never been an issue", I always take that as a warning that the person I'm talking with might not be open to new information or changing their mind (or one who places a higher priority on their own experience versus contrary evidence). Of course, the opposite, "this is new, so it must be better", isn't always the case.

That's not a prediction that a discussion wouldn't be worthwhile, but those phrases would influence how I approach it.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
I guess it is the kind of situation where there is a need to be really diplomatic. Convincing people that despite their attempt to do good they are not is often viewed as disrespectful or offending, noone wants to hear that something they are convinced is good might not be it.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well I know many people here didn't know about the respiratory problems with certain birds.
My theory befoe joining was:
Okay noisy and dusty birds in that room, and macaws in the other.
I have always run humidifiers and air conditioning or fans due to my own respiratory issues.
Personally I find people who have had their birds for years are not going to change their behaviours because as far as they're concerned, it has never been an issue before, so why is it now?

macawww

Hit the Road
Well I know many people here didn't know about the respiratory problems with certain birds.
My theory befoe joining was:
Okay noisy and dusty birds in that room, and macaws in the other.
I have always run humidifiers and air conditioning or fans due to my own respiratory issues.
Personally I find people who have had their birds for years are not going to change their behaviours because as far as they're concerned, it has never been an issue before, so why is it now?
No offense to my cockatiel but honestly my macaw is my heart bird and true love and if he suffered because of my negligence in getting a dusty bird I'd hate myself so much. Idk what to do as I don't want to rehome my cockatiel either

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
No offense to my cockatiel but honestly my macaw is my heart bird and true love and if he suffered because of my negligence in getting a dusty bird I'd hate myself so much. Idk what to do as I don't want to rehome my cockatiel either
How long have you had them both ? Do they spent a lot of time together cages same room etc out of cage time etc preening near each other ?

just a few questions that might help other people give you good advise as I am not sure

macawww

Hit the Road
How long have you had them both ? Do they spent a lot of time together cages same room etc out of cage time etc preening near each other ?

just a few questions that might help other people give you good advise as I am not sure
Macaw for 10 years, cockatiel for 2 years. They spend no time together out of the cages as the macaw gets a bit aggressive with smaller birds than him. They're in the same room while caged though and I don't want to move the cockatiel to a separate room where she's alone as she loves being around the gcc and would be lonely, but getting a second cockatiel would double the dust problem.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Macaw for 10 years, cockatiel for 2 years. They spend no time together out of the cages as the macaw gets a bit aggressive with smaller birds than him. They're in the same room while caged though and I don't want to move the cockatiel to a separate room where she's alone as she loves being around the gcc and would be lonely, but getting a second cockatiel would double the dust problem.
You might be best off starting a new thread so people see title and can answer your questions

I know @Xoetix as a cockatiel that was around quakers
@Icey as a cockatoo and macaw
@Shezbug might be able to help
And not sure if @Pixiebeak woukd have any ideas @Kiwi's Dad as a cockatiel not sure though if other bird is dusty too

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Controlling Feather Dust
  1. Give your bird regular baths to help rinse the dust directly off of them.
  2. Wipe down the surface of your bird's cage with a damp cloth daily.
  3. Change cage bottom daily.
  4. Lightly mist the cage bottom liner before disturbing it to decrease the amount of dust you stir up when you remove it
  5. I’ve found this online might be worth trying until someone better comes along to help you

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Is EVERYONE missing the point here??? I thought the original issue was not the fact that macawww could not care for the Cockatoo anymore because of the dust issue-- [ I THOROUGHLY AGREE w/ that].. but the fact the other caregiver touched the C all over..

I know we differ in our beliefs from many here at AA, but we love on our UC as much as we can. Tho she is only fostering the bird temporarily, it does NOT discount the fact that these birds NEED LOVE as much as they want to RETURN LOVE to you. Just my opinion, but I think Cockatoos do not have the problem of 1x-person love issues... Our UC loves us both dearly, and NEEDS the physical connection for her heart and mentality.

Would love more discourse and rebuttal on this issue if necessary... thank you for allowing me to 'go against the flow' w/ my opinion! :heart:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Is EVERYONE missing the point here??? I thought the original issue was not the fact that macawww could not care for the Cockatoo anymore because of the dust issue-- [ I THOROUGHLY AGREE w/ that].. but the fact the other caregiver touched the C all over..

I know we differ in our beliefs from many here at AA, but we love on our UC as much as we can. Tho she is only fostering the bird temporarily, it does NOT discount the fact that these birds NEED LOVE as much as they want to RETURN LOVE to you. Just my opinion, but I think Cockatoos do not have the problem of 1x-person love issues... Our UC loves us both dearly, and NEEDS the physical connection for her heart and mentality.

Would love more discourse and rebuttal on this issue if necessary... thank you for allowing me to 'go against the flow' w/ my opinion! :heart:
I don’t think anyone missed the point - the first few responses addressed the issue of the other foster disregarding the likelihood of sexually stimulating the cockatoo, and the post progressed in a different direction from there. No one disputed that cockatoos need love, and whether or not they’re one person birds never came up.

macawww

Hit the Road
I don’t think anyone missed the point - the first few responses addressed the issue of the other foster disregarding the likelihood of sexually stimulating the cockatoo, and the post progressed in a different direction from there. No one disputed that cockatoos need love, and whether or not they’re one person birds never came up.
Plus different cockatoos have different tolerances for affection before its sexual... and the bird might view it as sexual but not necessarily exhibit aggression or behavioural issues due to it, but its still bad practise as their bodies aren't designed to be in a constant state of hormonal activity. Seasonal factors are hard to replicate at home... freezing your bird or starving them is obviously wrong. Long nights aren't effective in all birds. From my experience, I've met cockatoos who can't even be pet on the head by their caretaker as the bird finds that too stimulating but I've also met cockatoos who are happy to spend all day on shoulders snuggling. Touching under wings is always weird tho imo

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think it depends on the bird and your relationship with it. My DYH gets very hormonal (horny, not aggressive, usually) during the breeding season and gets excited easily. Therefore, I only pet her head or hold her feet. She could ramp up too easily. Simon the hy could care less. He has been molting since he came here, so I regularly help some stubborn tail pins to open. I can stroke his back, and it's not an issue for him. The queens are the same, but they're both young.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your tiel is little and is not going to produce the dust a larger 'too would. I don't think he's the same level of risk. I can't remember if you described your set up or not, so I'd have an air purifier in the room and bathe the tiel frequently, whether he likes it or not.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So I'm currently joint fostering a sulphur crested cockatoo for the bird sanctuary I volunteer at. Today I handed over the bird to the other caretaker (we've been taking turns) and I told the organisation I could no longer care for him because of concerns about my b&g macaw and respiratory issues which I only learned through members here. They told me there was no such thing and cockatoo dust is safe as long as I take precautions with an air filter and good ventilation... I don't want to risk it with everything I've read here frankly and I'm shocked they could be so uninformed, but I digress.

I handed the bird over and this woman pets him all over like a cat. I'm dead serious. I told her not to do it and sent her some articles I've seen on here (preventing the pair bond, sex and the psittacinae) and she said that was nonsense and she's always pet all her cockatoos (she has a U2 at the moment as well who she got as a baby from a breeder and is about 10yo) and has never had any problems

I'm honestly at a loss for words....

Should I tell the shelter that she may be an inappropriate caregiver? I don't WANT to do that but I'm really worried that if this behaviour causes issues it'll make the bird impossible to be eventually adopted with a permanent family.
If you are there as a volunteer, you need to be careful what you say.
Reporting someone as an inappropriate caregiver is quite a serious accusation.
If she is doing something to "hurt" the birds, that would be just cause.