• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shelf Perches?

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone! Hope I’m posting this in the right place.
I have a 17 year old cockatiel with some special needs. One of his feet is missing all the toes so he sometimes has issues with regular perches. I’m looking for some good ideas for shelf perches for him. I see some on Amazon but you know how that can be… I just want to make him comfortable and help him get around. He has a few natural perches and a dowel perch that came with his new cage so I know he’s not all that comfortable atm. I have manzanita in my yard and can cut them for my other birds but they don’t seem appropriate for him. I’ve attached a picture of Sateen so you can see his foot, it’s like that due to getting tangled in a rope toy 16.5 years ago. He perches okay on perches but can’t grip your finger. Suggestions for flat/shelf perches or other things I can do for him? F265245E-E394-4451-B97B-2572511E02A6.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd check out SeriouslyNutz,Lil Monsters bird toys and Oliver's Garden. All are members here and they have a wonderful selection of flat perches. @Mizzely's store LMBT has them in the shape of Dino feet so he could nibble the toes and look adorable doing it,@Macawnutz store SeriouslyNutz has wooden and flagstone perches and @Susan and Oliver store has this wonderful perch called a flight deck and it's flat but also has normal perches on the sides. My apologies for not posting the links it's hard on my phone.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here's what I carry:

I need to do a pine run which is why some stuff is out of stock (hopefully this weekend, weather permitting!) but if there is anything you are interested in, I have wait-lists on each item that will alert you by email as soon as they are back up on the site :)

Last edited:

Susan and Oliver

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Would definitely offer this little one much smaller perches than the one pictured. His good foot would get a better grip. Natural branch-twiggy would be great for him. Even a rope perch would allow the good foot to get a grip. From my store would recommend a Dingy Deck with small perches. FD-Flight Deck

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sateen. That is a very unique name. He's a handsome guy. :)

Just made a bunch of these. There's one left.

Medium Corner Hardwood Disk Perch | Etsy Canada

These little platforms would also work.

These are the smallest.