• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sheldon has a blood feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooke

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brooke
First off... I don't know if I put this in the right section? So sorry if I did not.

I noticed that one of Sheldon's tail feathers is bleeding, and I took a closer look and I can see a long shaft where the feather is incased. How do I pull this blood feather? I've never dealt with something like this before so I don't know how to go about doing it. Do I just towel him and pull it at the base with my fingers? Or tweezers? Do I need to use corn starch? Will it continue to bleed once I pull it?

Sorry for so many questions, I just don't know what to do :(

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Do you have someone that can help you? It makes it a lot easier and it will be quicker - someone to hold him and someone to pull it out. I used tweezers when I had to do it, it bleed for a tiny bit but stopped very shortly afterwards, so I would use the corn starch and applu a bit of pressure once it has been pulled. Also make sure you get the whole feather, you will know when you see the end of the feather it should be like a bulb, I don't have a photo and it is hard to explain, sorry! :o:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It is not fun at all, but glad you got it out without any problems (and doing it yourself will help if you need to do it in the future again and it is too late to get to a vet) - he will feel much better now, good job. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Oh, my dear, you look like you're exhausted! Time for a warm shower &:bridgette1:. You might want to purchase a pair of needle-nosed pliers, & read up on pulling bleeding feathers from the wing, as the technique differs (wing feathers are set in bone.) There are, I'm sure, step-by-step directions on Google or Wikipedia. But--YOU DID IT! WELL DONE!:laughing12::hug8:

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
I second that......good jod..... but I would also second buying and having a pair of needle-nose pliers on hand....they are much more sturdier than tweezers and more efficient IMO......it is scary when a bleeding feather has to be pulled and having the right tools can make all the difference.....

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad you got it..poor Brooke and poor Sheldon :hug8:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Poor Sheldon, I hope it didnt hurt too much :hug8:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Good job! Seems a lot of talk about blood feathers lately. Glad you were able to get it out all at once.

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
Yeah, I was exhausted. I had a long night at work, then I came home to a blood feather :rolleyes:
All of the needle-nose pliers we have are old and rusty, I didn't want to use one. I'll make it a point to go out and purchase some. It did hurt Sheldon, he did scream a little, but once it was said and done he looked like he felt happier :o:

Also, I expected the shaft to be hard, from the casing. It was very warm and soft, it threw me off a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.