• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She wont move!

animallover9

Walking the driveway
Lately when I go to change food and clean the cage Forest will refuse to move from where she is which makes cleaning bowls difficult. She is not hand tame but would rather have me petting her than to move her little feather butt off of what I need to grab. I really dont want to grab her since I dont want to break any trust we have gained thus far. So how do I get this stubborn girl to move? :banghead:

animallover9

Walking the driveway
That is how I get my tiels to move by putting treats in a bowl on the other side of the cage. I can try with other treats with forest but so far I have had no luck getting her to move with treats she is very .... challenging

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
... In another bowl or at the other side of the cage creates a diversion and gives you a chance to retrieve the bowl.
Yes this is what I do with Ollie sometimes if he's being stubborn around his food dish at dinner time. Try waving a small toy around on the outside of the cage in the area that you want them to go. Just keep trying different distractions until one works :D

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I will defiantly give it a try. I can say it makes for great pictures this bird has no fear I can put my phone right up by her and get some good pictures since she wont move at all. Now if only she would step up that would solve all the problems!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would use a small perch or chopstick to pick her up with! It won't break any trust as its the naughty chopstick rather than your hand that is moving her! Worked for Pilo when we first got him!

:fairy2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try to perch train her with treats in your hands at the same time. Once she is comfortable stepping up on a perch your fingers will be next. It really works but have patience.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Jersey's the same way :laugh: She even jumps out of the cage back onto the bowl when I finally get her off of it! All I do is say "Please move?" and when she does, I click twice and give her millet so she knows what she did was good! Or if I'm feeling lazy I use the hand signal for "go home" that I use when we're recall flying. She gets the hint eventually, but not until after a few quiet peeps that sound like "What?" :laugh::laugh::laugh: