• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She played me like a fiddle...

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a plastic foraging toy that my grey LOVES. I fill it with colored, fruit-shaped, pellets (as opposed to the plain-colored ones she gets in her bowl), and she goes to town. However, I don't want her to get bored with it, and I also want to make sure she's eating other foods, so I'll fill it a couple times, then let it sit empty for a week or so and give her other activities. That way, when it's refilled again, she's eager to jump back into the game.

Well, she's been on an extra enthusiastic kick with this toy lately (I moved it to a more fun location), and yesterday, it ran out of fruitloops. (my nickname for the colored pellets). That evening, when she knew I was watching, she went over and started playing with it just like normal. Pulling the thingies, checking for pellets at the open end, repeat. She looked like she was enjoying herself, but it was just kind of pitiful - like watching a kid play an empty crane game. I mean, yeah, the motion of the parts is interesting, but what's a prize game with no prizes?

So I caved and refilled it with fruitloops. It's good exercise, and if she likes it that much, I'm not going to keep her from playing.

No way she didn't plan that.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How could you resist? You're a good parront listening to her telling you she was ready for her toy. :heart:

And Boo? :ygg:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
So smart! She knew exactly how to make you obey lol.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Now that is a Grey having fun!
Louise shred her wood food puzzle. Can I ask where you got this one?
She has a wonderful square plastic cube one but that can only be on the outside of the cage.... I think she would like this also...

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Now that is a Grey having fun!
Louise shred her wood food puzzle. Can I ask where you got this one?
She has a wonderful square plastic cube one but that can only be on the outside of the cage.... I think she would like this also...
I got it at Petco, although when I looked it up, another website came up instead. Just be aware it's a massive headache to clean out the inside (you have to remove some screws and pull the whole thing apart), so don't put anything in there that has the slightest chance of getting stuck.

(Looking at you, tiny bits of dried fruit that got sticky from the humidity and glued to the inside).