• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She flew to me for the first time!

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
MAJOR happy moment! My bird, lovebug flew to me and landed on me! OMG! I had my phone so I took a “selfie” most amazing moment, I’m so grateful she wanted to fly to me!
B648A2DD-22BA-4CD8-AE89-9A38053E4E5C.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How fun! My boys only fly to me when they know there is millet involved, lol! Such a pretty little lovebird :xflove:

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
congratulations! That is such an awesome picture. You both looking like you’re gasping with happiness.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I was not expecting that she would fly to me tonight AT ALL! I’m still thinking to myself...did that really happen. My heart exploded when she CHOSE to fly to me! Sorry everyone, this is just such an emotional moment for me. I’m just to in love with this little being.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Didn’t we tell you? ;) Look how fast that was! We totally understand the joy of the first overtures from your feathered love(s)! :heart2:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Didn’t we tell you? ;) Look how fast that was! We totally understand the joy of the first overtures from your feathered love(s)! :heart2:
Yes you all did!! You where right on point! That was SO FAST! I’m amazed by the resilience of this little bird. Positive reinforcement and respecting boundaries is the only way to go! Without AA I would be lost :grouphug2:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Thus made me so happy!
Such a precious moment :heart:
Yup! I’m going to hold onto that moment for life. You know those moments that you just know you are never going to forget. Writing this reminds me of the first time my bearded dragon, Harley fell asleep on my chest when he was a baby. The fact that he trusted me that much just sealed my bond to him for life! Animals are the best :heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
:hood: Hello, new Roadie! Lovebug is wonderful! and so are you to pick up on the positive reinforcement only requirement for lulling a bird into making you one of her flock mates!

One heads up: make sure to wash hands between handling your reptiles and handling Lovebug. Reptiles carry salmonella bacteria without symptoms and it is absolutely lethal to birds. My adopted daughter had both reptiles and avians and unfortunately her avians got salmonella and all but one died. Just be careful.

:welcome2:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
:hood: Hello, new Roadie! Lovebug is wonderful! and so are you to pick up on the positive reinforcement only requirement for lulling a bird into making you one of her flock mates!

One heads up: make sure to wash hands between handling your reptiles and handling Lovebug. Reptiles carry salmonella bacteria without symptoms and it is absolutely lethal to birds. My adopted daughter had both reptiles and avians and unfortunately her avians got salmonella and all but one died. Just be careful.

:welcome2:
I
Thank you for the response! I did know that they carry salmonella but the experience you shared is shocking! I would never want that to happen, I will be EXTRA carful. Thank you for taking the time to share that with me. That’s really scary and sobering.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Update:I feel like I’m ending my day with a different bird! So many mind boggling steps forward today...I don’t know how to wrap my brain around it :eek:

Lovebug flew to me again! Then she just sat on me and hung out....I had no idea this was going to happen so soon! She has been stepping up on a stick which I have offered because she has been scared of hands but today I offered my hand and lured her onto it with some millet, SHE STEPPED UP! I went back to offering the stick because I did not want to push her and she spent the rest of the evening with her on the stick. When she would lean a certain way I would slowly move her on the stick in the direction I felt she was leaning, she seemed so relaxed and happy! Anytime she did something I wanted I gave her millet to reward her. normally she comes out of her cage for a short period of time and then she returns to the cage but tonight she did not seem to want to go back to the cage. She wanted to be with me! It’s so crazy that all this happened in such a small amount of time! When it got to be 7pm I gave her a ride on the stick back to her cage and I could tell she did not want to go back so when she did I let her have a good amount of millet. After she was back in the cage she watched me intensely and seemed to be calling to me. That new as well!

It feels like zero to 100! It’s like she woke up this morning and decided today was the day she was going to come out of her shell. I’m in shock. I’m so grateful to have earned her trust. It means so much to me :cloud9::heart2:Im going to be VERY carful not to push her past her comfort zone because I‘m worried of anything that might hurt our relationship.

Up until now I’ve been letting her come out of her cage when she wanted too nearly all day because I work from home 4 of 5 days a week and when she would come out and explore the room I just let her do her thing and I just kept an eye on her and she would put herself back when she wanted to go back. I basically let her do what she wanted when she wanted. It payed off! I’m just amazed.

I am predicting that I will need to make LOTS of enrichment toys for her cage so that she is happy in the cage as well as out, from tonights experience I think this could be a Velcro bird and I might need to be careful not to cause her to hate her cage in the event I need to spend multiple hours away from home like I do on Mondays when I go into the office.

Shes even playing with toys tonight....climbing all over the inside of the cage, she was not doing all this! It’s like a different bird! This bird and I are going to be like partners in crime, I could not have asked for more....:wow::xflove:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When they decide, it’s very sudden! Every single one of mine changed like a light switch. :)

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
When they decide, it’s very sudden! Every single one of mine changed like a light switch. :)
Wow! Thats crazy. Do your birds accept other members of the family? Many members of my family would like to try to get close with Lovebug, especially my parents. They both love birds. I selfishly have no problem if Lovebug chooses to only accept me but at the same time if it enriches the birds life to have other people she will accept I will foster those relationships as well.

Lillybust

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela
Huge Congrats! I really want my baby girl Ivy to learn that! I just got her two weeks ago, she is a fishers and not really a tiny baby. She is hand fed and doing pretty good with her training, although she is new to my flock... it gives me confidence that maybe Ivy will fly to me, after hearing your story of Love bug. Lovebug is simply adorable and beautiful! Huge Congrats!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Huge Congrats! I really want my baby girl Ivy to learn that! I just got her two weeks ago, she is a fishers and not really a tiny baby. She is hand fed and doing pretty good with her training, although she is new to my flock... it gives me confidence that maybe Ivy will fly to me, after hearing your story of Love bug. Lovebug is simply adorable and beautiful! Huge Congrats!
Thank you! I love her so much.

Congrats on your addition of Ivy! Hang tight, it‘s amazing how much progress Lovebug has made in such a short period of time so you never know! Since I created this thread, Lovebug steps up on request, gives kisses, destroys toys, comes out of her cage on her own and explores her out of cage play area with confidence, she spends time on my shoulder. It’s mind blowing how much progress shes made from where we started. You will get there!

Is that your Ivy in your profile picture? Thats an adorable bird! Lovebirds a painfully cute!

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Thats so exciting! I remember when I felt that when my parrotlet flew to me for the first time! Nothing but love in the air so happy for you too :heart2: :smileflower: