• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

:( she clipped the new baby

melissa68

Walking the driveway
I didn't notice until I brought the baby home but the breeder clipped the feathers on one side :(

How long does it take until they grow back?

I'm so upset. I think I want to bring the bird back.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no. I may have missed your story. What kind of bird?

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Why did she clip them? & is it only one wing? How many flight feathers?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My breeder of my caique did this, too. He got the feathers back around 12 months, but he is now 17 months old and not really flying.

Makes you pretty angry, huh.

@MahaSarah a lot of old-time breeders only clip 1.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:angry101:

I´m really sorry they did that. It sucks.

Maybe you can get ther other side clipped at the vet so the bird can regain balance? Or go back to the breeder and demand they fix it? (That´s if you even wanna go back there)

What kind of bird?
Cockatiel. I remember distinctly because OP was so excited to be bringing home her bird, who is such a lovely lemon colour.

melissa68

Walking the driveway
Why did she clip them? & is it only one wing? How many flight feathers?
only one wing and it looks like every single feather except the outside one. I have no idea why. I didn't even think to ask or look (first-time bird mom)

My breeder of my caique did this, too. He got the feathers back around 12 months, but he is now 17 months old and not really flying.

Makes you pretty angry, huh.

@MahaSarah a lot of old-time breeders only clip 1.
I'm so mad. Being a new mom I really am not sure I want to keep the baby. Isn't there a possibility of personality issues because of this? Being a first-time bird mom I don't know if I'm equipped to deal with the issues :crycry::crycry::crycry:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ve never heard of personality issues??? Only flying issues.

Some breeders really hack them. :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The only ¨personality¨ issues I can think of would be the likes of insecurity/stress from lack of flight... but there are ways to help the bird.

Ladders to and from the cage, long rope perches making everything accessible, padding on the floor for falls etc.
Then from your side, remembering not to force the bird into any sort of activity, being patient with him/her, being understanding of the birds situation until they are fully flighted.

edit;

clipped birds often develop psychological and behavioral problems. I've read that on a few sites.
clipping an adult bird would lead to a lot more psychological issues because they had flight and then it was ripped away

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
I've had the same problem its super frustrating when they clip without asking,:angry: my lovebirds' feathers are just now starting to grow back.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Clip the other side. My cockatiel (waiting for me on the rainbow bridge) came clipped. The feathers grew back after six months but she never really flew after that.

Dexter grew his heathers back after two years, but did learn to fly again.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I’m so sorry this happened. I understand completely as Loki was clipped by the breeder before I picked him up, I was shocked too as I wasn’t told about it beforehand. Jo (who I got 2months before) was clipped by the pet store when I told them we were planning on taming/bringing outside the cage and I as a 1st time bird mom was to clueless to demand they didn’t do it.

I will say- neither of my babies has had any personality or behavior issues. It took some work but now they both step up willingly and enjoy interacting with me out of the cage. It does takes some extra preparation: I have ropes/ ladders/ perches everywhere. The cage setup is also to accommodate their lack of flight.
Loki is actually able to glide pretty far- he can go from 1 side of the room to the other while Jo can’t get far at all. It breaks my heart to see it, but now he just uses me as a taxi to get where he wants. We’ve had him since April, and so far 1flight feather on each side is growing back.
It really shouldn’t cause any personality issues, just maybe a lack of confidence at least in the beginning. Your new baby is beautiful and I can tell from all your preparation so far you CAN do this!
I hope this helps somewhat and if you ever need any help, I’m here! :heart:

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine was clipped when I got her from the breeder. Remember, babies are trying to figure things out. It's an exciting journey that you are a part of, you get to be best buds. (Valentine is clipped because her cage is too close to the front door and if flighted coulld fly right out the door!)

melissa68

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I talked with the breeder and she will take the bird back. I'm just so....argh everything; mad, sad, frustrated, and disappointed. I'm kicking myself for not asking or looking. I just assumed.

I also feel guilty that I don't want to deal with a clipped bird. I just don't think I have what it takes to do so. Baby goes back tomorrow. buh :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I talked with the breeder and she will take the bird back. I'm just so....argh everything; mad, sad, frustrated, and disappointed. I'm kicking myself for not asking or looking. I just assumed.

I also feel guilty that I don't want to deal with a clipped bird. I just don't think I have what it takes to do so. Baby goes back tomorrow. buh :(
This is not the birds fault and it certainly isn't the end of the world. Cockatiels are pretty resilient little birds. They are light bodied birds so still have some flight ability even when clipped. This birds personality will not be any different than any other bird you get. This is not about the bird. It's about "you" and what you bring to the table. Right now I don't read any concern about this bird. Only what you aren't getting/desire. It's rather immature IMHO.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. If you're going to own a bird, you better get tough. Have your "vet" even out that clip a little and pour your love and guidance into this bird. That is the right thing to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I totally agree with John.

Although I would have been immensely disappointed if my bird was clipped before I bought him home, I still would have bought him home!

They learn to fly even with clipped wings....most are just not as good at it as they would be with unclipped wings.

I remember as a kid having a budgie who had been given to me with one of his wings hacked so he was supposedly easier to tame.....he was the best unbalanced little flying machine ever!!! Great bird too- once the feathers all grew back that bird was even more confident and skilled at flying than some of the birds I’d had who had never had any feathers cut.

I’m at a loss trying to understand your reasoning for returning a perfectly healthy bird who needs a home, who you looked forward to bringing home and who will regrow those feathers.

It’s ultimately your choice but I am having trouble understanding why you’d take him back after he has already arrived at your home.

Good luck finding what fits and makes you happy. But please consider the extra stress taking this bird back will cause the bird you so looked forward to having.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Our new conure is clipped, and still manages to fly well enough that he would be a definite danger outside, with windows,etc. He's already lost one clipped flight feather, which gives me hope that we're looking at less than a year before he's fully flighted again. Trust me, this is not the biggest obstacle you and your bird will face together. You will deal with uncomfortable molts, grumpy teenage phases, maybe chronic egg laying, biting, etc. I bet you would be pleasantly surprised at how little you care about the clip once you spend time bonding.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
The feathers will soon molt and grow back into a lovely new wing. I believe a cockatiel's first molt happens between 6 - 12 months of age. It shouldn't take long to learn how to fly again, especially if he/she was allowed to fledge.