• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

:( she clipped the new baby

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would keep the baby.. let your vet show how to feed the baby if she still needs some aditional handfeeding.
No way in hell would i return a living beeing to a breeder that “bad” :)

In all cases, get yourself and your new companion to the vet, preferably one with bird experience. They should be able to help you much better then we. They can weigh the bird, check its health, etc etc. All we have to go on is hearsay ;-) which, beeing a firsttime bird mom” might not all be correct.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is normal for a baby bird in a new home not to eat for a couple days. FYI for a baby you should re hydrate Unapproved Vendor chop in hot water - not boiling as more nutrients leach out of the veggies that way. If you are so stressed out by all this I suggest you just sit by your bird and read something to him in a soft voice. Keep stress levels low when you are around the baby bird. They have a keen sense of being able to tune in to your feelings. We are here to help you along the road to being a confident and loving bird person if you choose to keep this baby and not put it through more stress by returning him to such an incompetent breeder. Think of the birds welfare all the time.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
Do you see your bird eat when you're at the breeder's place or did you ask what food the breeder weaned with?
I got my baby cockatiel when he was 7 weeks and 4 days. I gave the same foods what breeder gave to my bird and I converted to new foods gradually later. I saw my bird eat on the 3rd day. I even went to see him 2 or 3 times a week for a month before I got him. He was just sitting on lower perch at my place, and not that active for a few days. But I saw him very active at breeder with his brothers and sisters. So your bird might be just shocked to your new place like mine. My bird's wings were clipped when I got him. But I am not sure if all his flight feathers were clipped or not. He got back his flight feather after a little bit more than 2 months, and he can fly since then. I think it depends on individual cockatiel when they're getting their flight feathers back. One thing I first learned was cockatiels/ birds are afraid of plastic bag sound or anything that is similar to that sound, especially when they don't know where that sound is coming from. If you wanna introduce those kinds of sounds, then make sure the birds are looking at it and do it slowly, so they get used to the noise and not get a panic attack every time they hear it from another room or something. Also, be careful of any noises at night because waking them up from a deep sleep can give them a night fright. So good luck!

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is this the “breeder’s” first babies? Of course you see them picking at food and millet, but they don’t really *eat on their own* in the beginning. They just nibble

I’m horrified that it’s 6 weeks old and there’s no way it weaned that early. She just wanted to move them along and breed more, I’d say.

Get some millet and soak it in water for about 30 min, it makes it softer so babies can eat it. Also get some dry egg food or scramble an egg, I’m thinking the dry is more like what he’s had before. Keep that available (if you use dry) at all times.

Poor baby.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, that is what the breeder said she has been seen eating seed and mullet for a few days. I found out last night that she puts the babies back in with the parents at night so I'm assuming that is when they were feeding/eating.

I tried Unapproved Vendor's Ancient Grains mash-warm last night. I also tried warm chop. Nothing. I tried some on finger, some on spoon. Bird just kept the little beak closed

When she called and said that the bird was weaned and ready to go. I assumed it was the case. I also assumed the bird was older because who the heck sells a baby before it's fully weaned??
There are many breeders who sell unweaned babies, unfortunately. Sometimes they charge the buyer less $$, sometimes they convince the buyer that the baby will be friendlier if the purchaser hand feeds, and, of course, sometimes they just want to make it easier on themselves and not complete the hand feeding/weaning process.

Can you purchase some formula such as Exact and try to spoon feed or put some in a shallow bowl and see if baby will eat that? Put some on a spoon or try your finger again and lightly tap the side of the beak and see if that stimulates a feeding response. You can add some organic baby food to the formula. Also moisten some pellets with warm water and let them get soft and mushy and try that. Offer seed mix, millet, cooked veggies, carrot tops (the green leafy part) and even some Cheerios.

There are no issues with getting a parent raised 'tiel. My first 'tiel was parent raised and he was absolutely wonderful. The issue is if the baby is not fully weaned. Also a baby can be very scared being in a new home and sometimes when this happens he/she will not eat or drink in the beginning. If you are feeding something different from what the breeder is feeding the baby may not accept that in the beginning. Did the breeder give you any food to start the baby off on? I realize it's not the best food but it would be what the baby is used to right now and then you can transition to a healthier diet.

Monitor weight daily. If you find that the baby is not eating and dropping weight then go to a vet or, sadly, return to the breeder and let that person finish the hand feeding.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
How is it going this afternoon? You’ve been given loads of really sound advice. I can add that both my babies were acting similar the 1st couple days. S/he is in a brand new place and will take time to adjust. I didn’t see Jo eat at all until day 2, when I started lightly singing to him. I actually think he liked the singing cuz his food bowl was on the opposite side of the cage and that way he knew where I was and felt safe putting his head down to eat. ;)

You’re right to be concerned about the young age and whether or not he’s been properly weaned. Do you still have a vet appt for tomorrow? You’re doing well offering different types of food, hopefully soon you’ll see the baby eating one of the options. As long as he’s pooping he may even be eating and you just didn’t see it.
I really don’t think the wing clipping is the biggest issue here- the breeder has certainly done some suspect things however. All I know is both my babies were clipped, and here we are only a few months later and there are NO personality/behavior issues. Just 2 happy birbs who have lots of ladders, ropes and extra perches. I’m also a 1st time bird mom and it hasn’t been much of an issue at all. I really hope you don’t return the baby. I don’t think going back there will be good for him. He’s also upset about the loss of his wings I’m sure, but it’s not his fault and added stress of going back and forth will not help. Please give it a chance, I think you’ll be happy you did :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm wondering if Melissa went back to the breeder since we haven't heard from her.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I hear you guys. I do. In a way it is about me; I don't have the experience in birds and I don't want to hurt this baby. That is where my concerns come from.

In hindsight, I can see everything I've done wrong (which is EVERYTHING).

Another concern I have is the baby and his/her age. I believe this bird is 6 weeks old. The breeder didn't hand feed as I thought. The bird was being fed by the parents. I have not seen the bird eat or drink anything since yesterday when we brought him/her home around 3pm.

I hope someone is around that can help with the age and feeding question because I have to make a decision to bring bird back in less than an hour
Didn't you share a photo of your bird? Can you post it again?

melissa68

Walking the driveway
Sorry I had to work this morning.

I really appreciate all your replies. I actually did sleep on the wing clip and after reading what everyone said, I decided I was going to keep the baby.

I texted the breeder (and I use that term loosely) and told her that I couldn't make the 830am drop-off time (as both my hubs and I had to work) and I also wanted to stall her because I wanted to see what advice you had about the eating. I left and went to work for 4 hours. I left music and lights on. I came home and the bird was in the exact same spot and hadn't touched any of the food, millet, or seed.

Hubs did some research and read about trying to hand feed a bird that isn't used to it which lead to tube feedings and not to mention all the crop problems. At that point, we both decided we were in way over our heads.

I texted the lady and asked if she would possibly take the bird back for a few weeks to finish weening. She replied me she wanted the baby back and that she found a new buyer and "they know what they are doing".

I'm sure that decision won't make me a popular person here but I just don't know what the heck I am doing and I couldn't watch a baby bird starve and I had a limited amount of time to make the decision. Baby went back

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sorry I had to work this morning.

I really appreciate all your replies. I actually did sleep on the wing clip and after reading what everyone said, I decided I was going to keep the baby.

I texted the breeder (and I use that term loosely) and told her that I couldn't make the 830am drop-off time (as both my hubs and I had to work) and I also wanted to stall her because I wanted to see what advice you had about the eating. I left and went to work for 4 hours. I left music and lights on. I came home and the bird was in the exact same spot and hadn't touched any of the food, millet, or seed.

Hubs did some research and read about trying to hand feed a bird that isn't used to it which lead to tube feedings and not to mention all the crop problems. At that point, we both decided we were in way over our heads.

I texted the lady and asked if she would possibly take the bird back for a few weeks to finish weening. She replied me she wanted the baby back and that she found a new buyer and "they know what they are doing".

I'm sure that decision won't make me a popular person here but I just don't know what the heck I am doing and I couldn't watch a baby bird starve and I had a limited amount of time to make the decision. Baby went back
Nobody should fault you for your decision. I completely understand you had your fears over the health of this young bird. While it is true, many birds including young will go off their food and not move around much when subjected to a big change in environment. Some adjust easier than others. I do think it was a bit of a slap in the face from the breeder to say she wanted the baby back and had a new buyer that knew what they are doing. Had it been me, I would have taken it back for a couple of weeks, kept it in it's own cage and made sure it was fully eating on it's own before returning it to you. None of my babies ever left here without being completely weaned and eating well on their own. She could have been a little more helpful and understanding to a new bird owner. What's done, is done. Wash your hands of this unpleasant experience and start over fresh when you are up to it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I understand. At least the bird will live.

Now that you've had a healthy dose of reality I would like offer you some food for thought. As someone with no experience you are much better off with an adult bird who does not need all this skilled intensive care. There will be no surprises. That bird will no got through changes (possibly undesired) like a maturing bird. What you see is what you get. If you expose yourself to a number of birds (of all species) in a place like a shelter/rescue, one of those birds will choose you. There is no better feeling or chance at a successful companion than one that chooses you. I wish you well.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
What an awful breeder. I wonder who this person is.

I understand your choice and handfeeding a baby is very difficult. I hope the baby goes home to a good home.

I do suggest going to a shelter to adopt your new friend or finding an unwanted bird on craigslist etc. :) And of course, finding a good breeder that abundance weans their babies and does not sell unweaned babies. Huge red flag if they do.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Melissa, I'm glad you did what you felt was best. No judgement from me. Now you can start fresh, armed with a lot more questions for a potential breeder, rescue facility or craigslist seller. Good luck! Do we know where you are located? Maybe someone knows some local info that could help in your search.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are not at fault. You had to do what you were comfortable with. You asked the breeder to please take the baby back, hand feed longer to make sure that baby was fully weaned and then return the baby to you. The breeder was unwilling to do this. Would have been nice for the breeder to do what you asked but would had been better for the breeder not to have handed over an unweaned baby in the first place. I hope that the baby actually goes to a home where the person knows how to hand feed. Based on what you've written I wouldn't put it past this breeder to just sell that 'tiel to anyone and not really care if that person knew what they were doing.

Do consider adoption or if you consider another breeder ask lots of questions and even ask here if anyone is familiar with any breeders you are considering.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the update.

That Breeder is one awful person to sell you a baby who was not ready to leave yet and even worse for trying to make you feel inadequate for their laziness and poor morals.
I’m so very sorry this was your first experience, how stressful!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with that breeder. I really hope the baby will be well taken care of. No judgment here either. I think you did the right thing. I am sure things will all fall into place perfectly for you when it happens. Best of luck in your new search. I know you'll be a wonderful bird mom :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please let us know how you are feeling in a few days. How did you get hooked up with this breeder?

Westside'sGirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sarah
I have 2 Black Capped Conures whose wings were clipped when I brought them home. Once they grew in, they were flying like nothing ever happened. I know it is upsetting, but take the time to bond with your bird.