• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sharpening claws? Or something else

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hey guys!
Skit started a curious behavior since we started working from home. Maybe she was doing it when we werent home and we just noticed it now that we are always here.

she is preening and cleaning her nails or claws but she spends a lottttt of time on her nails. Like she can spend 20 min or so just with her nails in her beak. At first I thought she was cleaning it, then I realized maybe they are too long and bugging her. Could it be that she is sharpening them and trimming them herself? I honestly think that they are a bit shorter.
I doubt that she is ill cause she seems in perfect health and shape! But she can do that thing multiple times during the day and for long periods! Do any of you have lovebirds that do that too? She also makes a loud clicking sound when she does that, it sounds a bit like beak grinding but louder.
Is it something to be concerned about or is it normal? My previous lovebirds never did that so I wonder!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She is trimming her nails.

Do you have a pedi perch? They work wonders in keeping toenails in good shape :)

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My girl normally does it after her nails gets done to sharpen them. Some birds may have a chewing problem, I know one that chews their nail down.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Ahhhh so it is trimming!!! Yes @Zara she has a pedi perch :)! She doesnt use it that often in her cage though! Maybe I should put it on her parc or something like that and see if she will use it there? Its annoying cause I dont feel comfortable enough to trim it myself if its too long and bugging her and with the covid situation they dont offer that service in Quebec at the moment! Im glad the smart girl is doing it herself though! Hope she wont develop a chewing proboem like DoubleTake mentioned !

@DoubleTake thats exactly the same trimming! Now that you mention it I realize my previous bird did that too in the past after coming back from the pet store for a little trim!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She doesnt use it that often in her cage though! Maybe I should put it on her parc or something
Move it to a place she uses a perch as a hop on hop off. So maybe a perch on the way to the water, or infront of the food bowl, or to get up on a swing ;)