• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

shampoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
I never really cared what shampoo I bought. Usually if it was cheap and got the hair clean, I was good! When I got Naomi, she liked to preen my hair and the chemical content worried me a bit. Now I use an organic shampoo that is far from cheap to ensure that my little guys who so enjoy preening my head:D do not have to worry. Anyone else change soaps and lotions because of the birds?

(I'm starting to feel like Saemma with all these posts so close together
:p )

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not let my parrots in my hair but that is a good question

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
hmmm When I was first going to get Iggy I was very worried about putting product in my hair but I was told not to worry about it as a little something would not harm him. I just cut my hair to shoulder length to I do not think I will have to put product in my hair anymore. I hardly let Iggy in my hair as it is but I still wonder about that. I have never wondered about shampoo though. Now you have me thinking about switching!! lol

TypingParrot

LOL I just wondered. I know some people switch their lotions because the birds preening them, but Sprite often lands on my head while I'm in the middle of typing and pulls my hair! LOL

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
LOL I just wondered. I know some people switch their lotions because the birds preening them, but Sprite often lands on my head while I'm in the middle of typing and pulls my hair! LOL
Yeah, I hardly even use lotions but I should because I have dry skin...lol I don't use body spray because of Iggy...I have body spray but it's just sitting there...Lonely...lol Iggy is currently clipped (wings are growing back) so he can't fly to my head but when I first got him that was his favorite this to do was fly to my head and at the time I was very unsure and nervous about that. Right now I use Dove Shampoo which probably has a lot of chemicals in it. :eek: Can anything really happen to our birds with using regular shampoos? I know if I let Iggy he would be on my head preening alllll day! :p

TypingParrot

I'm not sure if it could, but i opted out of the risk. that and the organic stuff really works 10X better on my hair! lol

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Really....Oh crap...I just realized something...I just DYED my hair lasted night!!! In my own house...With out thinking about the chemicals and Iggy... =( I did it in the bathroom with the door closed though. I completely forgot that dye has like an uber amount of chemicals in it which can most definitely harm Iggy. He was far away though. He just won't be going near my hair for a while and I'll be taking out the trash which contains that hair dye ASAP. I can't believe I did that. He was fine this morning though. Perky as ever. Enjoyed his breakfast. This thread has opened my eyes a lot. Wish I would have seen this yesterday before I dyed my hair, maybe it would have stopped me...Glad he's okay though. Anyways, wow.

Where do you get your organic shampoo?

TypingParrot

Really....Oh crap...I just realized something...I just DYED my hair lasted night!!! In my own house...With out thinking about the chemicals and Iggy... =( I did it in the bathroom with the door closed though. I completely forgot that dye has like an uber amount of chemicals in it which can most definitely harm Iggy. He was far away though. He just won't be going near my hair for a while and I'll be taking out the trash which contains that hair dye ASAP. I can't believe I did that. He was fine this morning though. Perky as ever. Enjoyed his breakfast. This thread has opened my eyes a lot. Wish I would have seen this yesterday before I dyed my hair, maybe it would have stopped me...Glad he's okay though. Anyways, wow.

Where do you get your organic shampoo?
I bought it at a local health food store.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I'll have to check my local health food store out. Now that I messed up by dying my hair...I don't know if I want to use my dove shampoo anymore. lol Sounds silly but Im mad at myself. Also I think the dove was drying out my hair anyways. Always good to try new things after a while and organic is always good!

Crackaleen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
No, I don't really do anything differently beyond buying unscented/dye-free/frangrance-free products. Of course, I've also been to known to wash my hair using alternative, home made products. *shifty eyes* My birds don't generally seem inclinded to preen my hair, though Buddy certainly enjoys sitting on my head (add an "h" to "sit" and you get his other favorite past time that involves my head :eek:). I've read products that are strongly scented tend not to be good for birds. And that's something to look into even with organic soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions - many of them are scented with essential oils which I've read can be particularly harmful. Personally I'm not too concerned as long as I rinse my hair well and am not going around smelling as though I've just bathed in a vat of perfume.

Nargle

Walking the driveway
I don't use shampoo to wash my hair! I wash with baking soda and condition with vinegar. I'm pretty sure that's not dangerous for birds. :D But I mostly don't use shampoo because the chemicals and fragrances bother me, too, and I don't see why I should need to buy fancy organic/natural shampoo when I can make my own perfectly good shampoo with stuff I have around the house.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I use all organic or all natural cosmetic/body/cleaning products in my household :) We are totally chemical-free and that of course includes shampoo too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.