• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shadow

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
Thank you. She just loves apples and I have been giving her a wedge every morning. I will try cutting back and see if that helps.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I agree with other posts that a vet visit would be a good idea.
And it could be hormones or any of the other things
To add another idea:
Is there anything new or moved around inside the house? Or something Outside that she can see (I see you've get her by nice windows)?
Or even a change in schedule?
Something like that can easily upset them for extended periods of time and they will yell.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Amazons are like other birds that in the wild like wood hollows in trees. Maybe moving the bird to a quiet corner or room to adjust will help.

Is your bird near many windows? Sometimes outside strange things cause alarm if they've never been seen before.

Is your home free from hectic in and out People traffic, noises etc.

Music can help subdue other sounds. Fans are mesmerizing in sound to them.

If you can tell us about the area your bird is in, that can help maybe figure out the trigger to the screaming.

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
I agree with other posts that a vet visit would be a good idea.
And it could be hormones or any of the other things
To add another idea:
Is there anything new or moved around inside the house? Or something Outside that she can see (I see you've get her by nice windows)?
Or even a change in schedule?
Something like that can easily upset them for extended periods of time and they will yell.
She is in the middle of a bay window. My house is very calm. I have 2 Schitzus that she doesn't seem to mind. I leave the tv on all the time during the day.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know after Claire mentioned the outside...

I have a window in my upstairs hall... Buddy & I look out of it when he takes me upstairs, its a trained learn that helps keep him motivated & "Good" we do it @ different times of the day. He literally walks me up & I sing this old 80's commercial song while he "takes me up!" Then we look out the window. Outside the window, is this HUGE maple tree. He looks up @ it & seems to go on "Flock Alert" when I notice different things. A "Flock Alert" is when they are telling you somethings amiss. Buddy gets quiet looks belligerent & then makes this odd noise... I don't know how to explain it... but my guess is youve heard it if your fid is in any window area. I hope you know what I mean...

• The trees moving because it's windy.​
  • Another bird flies thru​
  • He sees another animal or bird in the tree, like a squirrel​
  • Finally, this ones odd... If the clouds are moving above it.​
It's not for us to dictate the rulez, hey either right them or write them. Claire's "Zon sniffer" is out on this one. She may have a real validity too it!

:judge::aarules:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
I thought of another thing a few hours ago but I was unable to post @ the time. Watch foods that are warm & soft. Eggs can trigger it to be worse as an example. They think you are trying to feed them like a mate wpuld. Then they'll try to give it back to you.... :gag:

The other thing that can trigger more hormones is sugars. I cut Buddy, back or completely off on things like grapes, apples, corn as they are extremely high in sugar. I also limit his dried fruit way down. Example he usually gets 2 small pieces of Papaya, 2 or 3 raisins & a piece or 2 of the floating fruits that I swap back & fourth. I reduce it down to 1 piece each. For Buddy Bananas are a trigger, it took time to whittle that down. He can't have any banana dried or fresh. He becomesa crazy psycho bird. Screaming & biting @ anyone near his cage other than me... Remove the banana & he's about 2/3 easier to deal with.
I have cut her off of apples to try this and it is working. She is still very noisy but after all she is an Amazon lol. She is not so wound up now and much happier. Thank you !!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your welcome. An apple a couple times a week is Ok, after her hormones settle down. Based on the warmer winter days its going to be off & on if your certain parts of the US. Once spring actually hits and we roll into summer hopefully things will settle back again. I cannot give Buddy Bananas thats his trigger. Not even a half of banana chip. Amazons can be very sensitive. Other fids too but I'm w w/ a single Zon, so it's all I know.

Thank goodness for all the veterans who taught me by their posts, even the AA members that are no longer alive. The search function is a great tool if you find time to read. I didn't post much when I first joined I just read & read (Unless Buddy was having a meltdown w/ something). Check out all the stuff in the feathered foodcourt area. I learned a heck of a lot there. Buddy is healthy & thriving now because of it. He had an all seed diet before me. He was malnurished from crap seeds & peanuts my Dad gave him, & now he's pretty darn healthy for 27 yrs old & 25 years of that really baddddd diet. Some arterial (heart) damage is suspected but I made him as healthy as I could, so he'll be w/ me for a long bum time. It's because of this place (AA) that's now my home away from home. The members here saved his life (IMO).

:gbh:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sometimes when I get close to her she comes even closer and talks and talks. I think she wants to step up but no go. The person I got her from had her for a year and got bit really bad so I am very Leary right now to push my luck. She also thinks that Shadow is wild caught and may never come around. This is sad but ok I guess.
I have two wild caught amazons..... both male..... both blue fronts.

I'm here to tell you they STILL LEARN and YES, they can learn to trust.

Both of mine can turn on command.

Secret holds up a claw to wave. Secret will whistle back to my husband and repeat my "bop, bop, bop," sounds when the bird makes hideous sounds, I make a sound I can live with and hope she repeats it (Secret is a he but we're thought a her at first, the bird is smaller).

MC hated hands. Thanks to Barbara Heidenreich (spelling?), he learned to step carefully on one that was made into a fist. It was a very slow process and frankly, we changed back to stepping on an arm because he's more comfortable with it.

You need to get a wooden T perch. Search for threads about that. It stops the fear and you're able to transport them. You reward when they step up, reward when they step down. Almond slivers in the grocery baking aisle are great treats.

MC was so attracted to cheerios we had issues eating cereal here for a while.

Amazon's are amazing.

Wait until you start sniffing them!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I initially hated the poof when I got it the 1st few times. Now I'm a Zon sniffer, when he sends that little smell from his nostrils (& I know they didn't scientifically proove it's from ther) but that's where Buddy eminates it from. I grab that beak & take a great big whiff & kiss that big old beak!!! :laughin:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Try whispering to her. When my Sam is screaming I can almost always calm him down by talking very softly. He has to stop screaming to hear me, and I use a soothing, monotone voice. He really calms down when I do that.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi folks, my Shadow is out of control. I need help. She is a double yellow headed Amazon. I have had a zone before and I no that all parrots are noisy but for the past 3 days all she does is scream as loud as she can for no reason. Yesterday was 3 hours solid and today is starting off the same way. The only way she stops is if I cover her cage. Is this wrong of me to do this ? I do not want to make it worse. She is always angry. HELP !!!!!!!
You mentioned you cover the cage when she screams.
Now I'm assuming she's screaming from inside cage.
Typically Amazon's do not do well being in cage all the time.
They will start screaming...let her out. They'll happily perch on top of cage.
Amazons like to know where your at at all times....once they can't see you, they will start screaming. Garanteed.
I have perches and gyms set up that if I'm going into another room or area, I put them there...They can see me and won't scream. Works every time.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Amazons like to know where your at at all times....once they can't see you, they will start screaming. Garanteed.
I have perches and gyms set up that if I'm going into another room or area, I put them there...They can see me and won't scream. Works every time.
Yes, this is very true. Within a month of having Buddy, I started doing a flocking, whistle, call back system in & outside of the house. It was spring & all my windows were open. My husband thought I was crazy. My neighbor's probably did too, but I didn't care. Buddy was my #1 priority & even if the neighbors don't or didn't know what I was doing they'd appreciate the quieter moments later.

Buddy needed to know I was there & if he couldn't see me... he could hear me. It is my opinion that even though we've had some issues w/ the Zon screaming it's not half as bad as it would be if I hadn't implimented this call back flock locator for him. Especially if I'm cooking in the kitchen or something where I don't really have an area for him to see me.

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
Her door is always open. She only goes in her cage to eat and sleep. When she sees the sheet she goes in her cage. I think I cured it, I was giving her a small apple wedge every morning. Someone on AA mentioned to slow down on the apples so I did and she is very happy and calm now. It worked

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
You've heard the term " music soothes the savage beast"..
This is very very true....experiment with song choices.
I use enya or Celine deion...as their voice seems to be soothing to amazons. Indian flute music is also soothing
And relaxing for birds.