• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shadow

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
Hi folks, my Shadow is out of control. I need help. She is a double yellow headed Amazon. I have had a zone before and I no that all parrots are noisy but for the past 3 days all she does is scream as loud as she can for no reason. Yesterday was 3 hours solid and today is starting off the same way. The only way she stops is if I cover her cage. Is this wrong of me to do this ? I do not want to make it worse. She is always angry. HELP !!!!!!!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
When was the last time she saw a vet? If my bird had a sudden change of behavior like that, I'd start there.

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
I got her last summer. My vet told me to let her get accustomed to me and wait for spring. She seems very healthy.

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
I think she is 30. She is in a decent size cage. Her door is always open. She only goes in her cage to eat and sleep. I have outside perches for her on the side of the cage. She will not step up (terrified) she bit her last owner real bad. I have been keeping my distance hoping she comes to me when she is ready. She eats Harrison lifetime. Apples, loves almonds. She will take treats from my hand. She gets very upset when I leave the room or talk on the phone (lol) but that is normal I guess. She just gets so angry when I get near her sometimes. But lately I need ear plugs it is so constantly noisy.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I'm no expert, but when my Cockatoo starts getting wound up, we do some training to calm him down and help him focus on a task. We started with target training where you use a chopstick and ask him to touch it with his beak. Touch, treat, touch, treat, etc. Now he'll move to a different location in order to touch the stick and get a treat. If you can catch Shadow before she starts full blown screaming, maybe you'll be able to prevent the behavior.

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
Thanks, I already use a clicker for the treats and she does reach for them. If I turn my back to her she even freaks out then

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think she is seeing you as part of her flock but isn't comfortable enough to get close probably due to her past experience. She doesn't want to be left alone for sure.
Have you tried any target or clicker training with her yet? Anything really so long as you can interact with her without getting too close, get her head active with tasks and puzzles.

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
I think she is seeing you as part of her flock but isn't comfortable enough to get close probably due to her past experience. She doesn't want to be left alone for sure.
Have you tried any target or clicker training with her yet? Anything really so long as you can interact with her without getting too close, get her head active with tasks and puzzles.
She has no interest in playing or anything like that. I use a clicker to give her treats, she takes them from my hand no problem.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I walk away & leave the room when Buddy does this. I will come back & give him a treat, half or 1/4 of an egg noodle once he stays quiet or whistles & is not screaming. The last warm spell we had last week even had me wanting to remove my ears. This major cold snap we just had settled him down... I'd totally agree w/ a vet visit (precautionary, but always recommended w/ a new fid), some focused training, & lots & lots of wood. In that bad week Buddy annihilated a snowflake cage hanger, a type of item that's always been barely played w/ before this dauy below).

20200105_092415.jpg

20200112_083318.jpg

TY Miss @Mizzely !!!

The thing was as big as my hand w/ all my fingers opened.

Plus @ minimum, 2 or 3 foot toys & chewed a few Large skewerful's of wood. He isn't usually this aggressive but my house has been going thru major changes which have really disturbed the flow of schedules & life for him.

Just remember to try to just walk away when thier bad & ALWAYS reward the good unless the vet tells you no treats.

There is something to be said for positive reinforcement too! Buddy gets "beak fives" where we tap hand to beak, lotsa kisses, "good jobs" & "excellents". It is possible that the little guy/gal is younger than you think maybe... Pubescent. I heard this time in a parrot's life can be... very trying for some parrot species & their families.

My guess is your both testing the water, right now being new to one another. If you let this bird make you overly accommodating to "it's" whims, neither of you will endure longterm w/ one another.

I'm no expert but Buddy was like this w/ me initially, I didn't listen to anyone & tried to do it my way,. What a HUGE mistake! It's taking a million times longer to re-train Buddy to the "New & correct" way to behave.

You have this & we're here to help you!

Welcome to AA! Nice to meet you!!!

Dinosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rene Leo Daneault
Sometimes when I get close to her she comes even closer and talks and talks. I think she wants to step up but no go. The person I got her from had her for a year and got bit really bad so I am very Leary right now to push my luck. She also thinks that Shadow is wild caught and may never come around. This is sad but ok I guess.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought of another thing a few hours ago but I was unable to post @ the time. Watch foods that are warm & soft. Eggs can trigger it to be worse as an example. They think you are trying to feed them like a mate wpuld. Then they'll try to give it back to you.... :gag:

The other thing that can trigger more hormones is sugars. I cut Buddy, back or completely off on things like grapes, apples, corn as they are extremely high in sugar. I also limit his dried fruit way down. Example he usually gets 2 small pieces of Papaya, 2 or 3 raisins & a piece or 2 of the floating fruits that I swap back & fourth. I reduce it down to 1 piece each. For Buddy Bananas are a trigger, it took time to whittle that down. He can't have any banana dried or fresh. He becomesa crazy psycho bird. Screaming & biting @ anyone near his cage other than me... Remove the banana & he's about 2/3 easier to deal with.