• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sexing Bourke Parakeets

Kales

Meeting neighbors
Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone here has experience sexing Bourke Parakeets visually? I know most places say to DNA test, but I've also heard with experience you can do it visually.
I am not experienced at all.
We assumed my Biggles is a male, but would be neat to know.
I can post pics if someone thinks they might know how :)
Thank you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That would depend on if you have a normal/wild type (easy to sex!) or a mutation (can be harder to sex).

Males do generally tend to be larger than females. Males vocalize more than females. Usually more colorful than females, too.

Kales

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the reply. He (I think) is a rosy Bourke.

He does sing quite a bit so maybe he is a he
I can try to do the DNA test if I want to be sure, but I'm scared to pluck a feather or trim his nail a bit short for the small blood sample. That's why I figured I would ask here first.
Thanks guys

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm leaning towards a male myself! :)

More rounded head and brighter face. Also "sounds" male.

If he ever struts, then male! (they'll raise their wings slightly and extend themselves out a bit)

If leaning forward with raised tail, wings out flat, then female. (especially if there are any eggs!)

Mrs. Bird Lady

Moving in
Real Name
Diana Eggleston
I heard myself that only male bourkes has a blue patch on his forehead and female bourkes does not. I have seen blue patch on a male rosy and a male rainbow bourke but not sure about
lutino bourke if it show on the forehead. I have a male bourke, the blue show up when he was 4 maybe 5 weeks old on his forehead.

Sammaz862

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Hello! Just wondering opinions on my two. I was told they are a pair but after more research im not sure. One os definately brighter than the other but as they are both blue...

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Sammaz862 Those aren't bourke parakeets.....

If same age, then the one in the back with the brighter blue face is male, the one in the front female.

Rosie Bird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gail Lewis
Bourke Parakeets are Rosie Bird's specialty. There is a lot of info. on "The Splendid Bourke Bird Blog" about this. Enter sexing into the search window, or better yet, get a copy of "Rosie Bird's Guide to Small Exotic Birds" by Gail A. Lewis. It's on Amazon and elsewhere. There is an entire chapter dedicated to the Bourke Parakeet and color photos, showing males and females in all Bourke shades. Wild colored Normals are easy to sex when mature. Only males have a tiny blue line over the cere. But, Rosies or Lutinos and others DO NOT have this. That's when behavior can be a giveaway ... Males "strut" throwing their shoulders back in a way that hens don't. This is described in the book and on the website. Rosie Bird also has videos on You Tube, mostly of Bourke Parakeet behavior, taming and breeding.