• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sexing, age and colours

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
Hi! I saw a few posts on here asking for help with their parakeet's age, gender, and colours, and I thought it would be fun to do the same.

Below is my baby Echo, who I adopted almost a week go. Still learning a bunch about budgie care (working on getting them new perches as I heard these ones aren't the best for her feet). After researching a bunch I'm guessing he/she is a dominant pied greywing female, and I'm really not sure about the age besides knowing that she's young. The lines on his/her head are grey and very hard to see. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks!

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
I can't help you on colors, but she's gorgeous! :xflove: I love how delicate and pale her patches are, like watercolours.

Goodness, she came with a really harsh wing clip too, didn't she? Two of mine did as well. Does she get around okay? Mine seem to have adapted but I do wish the breeder had left them a bit more to work with.

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
I can't help you on colors, but she's gorgeous! :xflove: I love how delicate and pale her patches are, like watercolours.

Goodness, she came with a really harsh wing clip too, didn't she? Two of mine did as well. Does she get around okay? Mine seem to have adapted but I do wish the breeder had left them a bit more to work with.
Thank you! I was thinking that too about the watercolours. Reminds me of a painting of the sky or something! So pretty :) And yeah I noticed her wings were cut a little shorter than others on here. She still seems to enjoy flying though thankfully :)

Echo is a lovely female.

She is a dominant pied, but without a shot of the back of her, I can't tell if she's greywing or not.
Thank you!! I'll try to get a picture of her from behind later on :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Bloomin' handsome girl. I just love the washed-out blue, you are sooooooo lucky, both of you!

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
Bloomin' handsome girl. I just love the washed-out blue, you are sooooooo lucky, both of you!
Thank you so much! :D

Also I just realized I used female pronouns for her about 3 times in my post despite trying not to since I wasn't sure :laugh: Glad my intuition was right, I've been accidentally calling her a she since I got her.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you so much! :D

Also I just realized I used female pronouns for her about 3 times in my post despite trying not to since I wasn't sure :laugh: Glad my intuition was right, I've been accidentally calling her a she since I got her.
It was meant to be ;)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I agree, she is one beautiful budgie! Don't forget that birds will hull their seed and it looks like they have seed in their dishes, but it is just hulls. :welcomesign:

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
I agree, she is one beautiful budgie! Don't forget that birds will hull their seed and it looks like they have seed in their dishes, but it is just hulls. :welcomesign:
Thank you a bunch!! And yeah I've been seeing the hulls in the dish... and the bottom of the cage... and on the stand... and on the floor :roflmao:

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
So she hopped on a perch for me this morning and I was able to take some clear photos of her and her back :)

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Beautiful little cutie:heart:!
I'll never understand why anyone would clip those wings, and especially why it seems to be done sos systematically to young birds :mad:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Beautiful young female pied...that's all I know!

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
Beautiful little cutie:heart:!
I'll never understand why anyone would clip those wings, and especially why it seems to be done sos systematically to young birds :mad:
Thank you! And yeah... I really hope she grows them back soon. I love watching her fly around and I can't wait to see her at her full potential.

Beautiful young female pied...that's all I know!
Thank you! :)