• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sex-linked Gender ID

Brazil&Zealand

Moving in
Real Name
Levi Radford
Hello! I'm new to this website. I have had Brazil & Zealand my GCCs for about 2 years now. They recently laid 6 eggs and so far 2 have hatched. Zealand, the mother, is Yellow-sided. Brazil, the father, shows the wild type coloration. With this pairing, would all female offspring be wild-type and would all male offspring be Yellow-sided? My basic knowledge of Sex-linked mutations and punnett squares comes with this result, but it's all confusing to me. Thank you for reading and/or replying! P.S. I named the first 2 Ecuador and Chile

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You're kind of right, except it would be the opposite - all females would be yellowsided, and males normal.
You're thinking of sex-linked traits in mammals, it's essentially the opposite in birds (in birds, females are the XY and males XX, or sometimes ZW and ZZ are used instead to reduce confusion)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's not exactly right..... unless Brazil is split for any mutations, all offspring will be normals. Males will be split opaline.

Here's a genetic calculator you can test breed with. Males are 1.0 and females are 0.1

Genetic Calculator 1.3 Green-cheeked Conure